Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm getting the error message 'Unsupported Image Format" when viewing RAW as master in the browser. The raw file is .CR2. Adobe DNG converter doesn't recognize the file as well (so I can't convert it). It use to work when I was using raw from G10. Anyone know what's going on?:confused:

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
The T2i is literally a brand new camera. You know those Digital Camera RAW Compatibility updates? Those are what enable you to use RAW files with Aperture and iPhoto. Every so often Apple comes out with a new update to work with the latest cameras, the problem is their way behind. Expect to download the update to be able to use RAW files from the T2i in about 6 months to a year. I think most users will agree with me on this one. The G10 is a much older camera, and so the update for that camera was available a while ago.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the T2i is brand new. it takes a few months before 3rd party companies figure out how to decode the files.

nick is full of crap. can Apple's updates be slower than the competition? yes. does it takes 6+ months? no, especially not for a popular manufacturer like Canon.

even Adobe Camera RAW, which drives Photoshop and Lightroom, has not been updated to support the T2i.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
the T2i is brand new. it takes a few months before 3rd party companies figure out how to decode the files.

nick is full of crap. can Apple's updates be slower than the competition? yes. does it takes 6+ months? no, especially not for a popular manufacturer like Canon.

even Adobe Camera RAW, which drives Photoshop and Lightroom, has not been updated to support the T2i.

Ouch. "Full of crap?" Seems a little harsh. So my time estimates were exaggerated, sorry? I don't think that calls for attacking my integrity.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the responses. That sucks to hear that I have to wait a while for A3 to support t2i raw. A3 is my primary image editing tool too. I have to shoot RAW/L until the support comes.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
It is the same for every single camera at launch. Apple have to issue an update, but it takes time to do so as they don't get any details off the manufacturers prior to launch. Works exactly the same for Adobe too - they have to issue Camera RAW updates for every launch, but Adobe frequently lock the new cameras to the latest version of PS/LR...

The only software you can use is Canon's DPP, and then export as TIFF.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
If I remember correctly the 7D was supported within 2 months of launch, so not too long to wait hopefully.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
I've just got a 550D/T2i and Aperture 3, it seemed to load the thumbnails fine but afterwards the pictures become pink with black dots or weird lines like when you have graphic card problems

Guess i'll have to wait too

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've just got a 550D/T2i and Aperture 3, it seemed to load the thumbnails fine but afterwards the pictures become pink with black dots or weird lines like when you have graphic card problems

Guess i'll have to wait too

Yep, same here. It's still not supported at this point.

cmoore55

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Not always Apple

These kinds of issues can be Apple issues or not. Canon has to work with Apple engineering as well. Trust me when I say these issues are not always about Apple working in a timely manner. There are human beings at the end of all this stuff and engineering groups have to play along or customers loose out.

C

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This soon after Aperture 3's release, I'd expect support for new cameras to happen sooner rather than later. We've only got a couple releases to go by, but in the past the times when it's lagged badly is when Apple's getting close to a major version release (which obviously isn't the case right now).

Note that I managed to type that paragraph without insulting anyone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This soon after Aperture 3's release, I'd expect support for new cameras to happen sooner rather than later.

The problem is that the manufacturers do not work with the software companies (not Apple, not Adobe) to provide RAW specifications for all their cameras. In fact, some manufacturers go so far as to encrypt portions of a camera's raw iamge files so that you are locked into using their provided, specific software.

Most raw support for nikon and canon cameras ends up being the result of reverse-engineering. Adobe has had to do this for most of the EOS cameras when they come out. The same will be true for Apple.

I feel your pain. I have a T2i as well, and before my T1i was stolen, I had to wait when I first got it for about 2 months for camera raw support to be released.

Fortunately, my workflow is Adobe based, so Camera Raw 5.7 RC is working fine for me now and I immediately convert all my stuff to DNG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.