Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
So either my aperture 3 or my camera has started to do some very strange things....

Normally, in the EXIF data under the histogram on the left side of the Aperture 3 gui it shows my EXIF data when I have the "adjustments" tab selected...

It will display the ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, and focal length respectively.

All of a sudden it stopped doing so. In all my recent shoots as of a few days ago it only displays the f-stop and focal length in their respective places, with nothing showing up where the ISO and shutter speed should be shown...

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!!

EDIT: This is occurring with a Canon 50D shooting RAW imported to Aperture 3 via usb cable from camera to a 24" iMac running snowleopard. I have not changed my work-flow in the slightest recently. I have verified that this is happening with all of my lenses, canon or not canon. I am incredibly perplexed why the software would stop recognizing certain bits of the EXIF data.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Are the fields showing, with no info included, or are the fields not showing at all?

No fields. Attached are screenshots illustrating the problem:

What it's supposed to look like:
screenshot20101006at956.png

What it now looks like:
screenshot20101006at956.png

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Are your older files still displaying ISO etc.?

Can you post one of the RAW files online?

The older files are indeed still displaying all the EXIF data, the screenshot is of an older photo from a month or so ago, and the incorrect one was from a shoot yesterday.

I will upload a RAW when I get back home to my home computer.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Thinking out loud as typing, can you re-boot your camera with latest firmware?
Maybe that software got corrupt somehow and just re-loading it will solve it?
Like re-starting your computer, sometimes that is easiest solution......

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Thinking out loud as typing, can you re-boot your camera with latest firmware?
Maybe that software got corrupt somehow and just re-loading it will solve it?
Like re-starting your computer, sometimes that is easiest solution......

How? I have never had to do something like this before?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This is probably a software glitch, possibly in A3. Run Disk Utilities or Onyx and repair Permissions. Reboot and see what happens. Keep us posted. I've never run across something like this.

Dale

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Let's see if anyone else can see the metadata from one of the files; that'll give us a hint whether it's an Aperture problem or not.

MattSepeta - are you able to upload a RAW direct from camera, and also a "export master" from Aperture to see if Aperture is somehow stripping the metadata, or if it's never making it onto the computer in the first place?

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Thanks!

Dale- I will run disk utlity and repair the permissions first thing when I get home.

jdavtz- Good thinking. I will do that and let you guys know.

I figured it was something wrong with my camera itself, but a simple software "out-of-whackness" seems more likely.

It seems like everyday Aperture is giving me another reason to "make the switch"...

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Matt;
If Aperture re-build does not work try this.
Go here, download latest firmware for your 50D, and using the Canon software when you purchased re-load the firmware.
Can't hurt, except it will re-set your camera to factory settings.....
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...igital_slr_cameras/eos_50d#DriversAndSoftware

Ok, so no progress here.

I repaired permissions on my drive containing Aperture, as well as the drive containing the aperture libraries.

Restarted, no luck.

I tried exporting the masters from aperture, and when I would get info on the cr2 files it DID indeed contain all of the missing EXIF data, leading me to believe that the problem is with Aperture rather than my camera.

I will try the firmware update later, thanks again.

:(

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
How about creating a new user profile on the computer and trying opening Aperture in the new account and importing one of the files that's been giving you trouble?

Camera firmware update -- while perhaps worth doing for other reasons -- surely isn't going to affect Aperture forgetting to display EXIF data from files that clearly do contain it.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
How about creating a new user profile on the computer and trying opening Aperture in the new account and importing one of the files that's been giving you trouble?

Camera firmware update -- while perhaps worth doing for other reasons -- surely isn't going to affect Aperture forgetting to display EXIF data from files that clearly do contain it.

Those were my thoughts regarding the firmware update. If I still have not figured this out in a few days I will give it a shot, for now I will try using a new user profile. Thanks for the suggestion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.