Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
The album printing company I am using (Finao) wants the album pages as two-page spreads in JPEG format (14x14 to be exact). I can export the album as singe pages just fine (Save as PDF>save as jpegs). I'm trying to figure out how to have the album export as two page spreads in JPEG format. I have a Photoshop action that does not seem to work. Doing this straight out of Aperture would also save a bit of time. Thanks in advance for any help.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah I tried that site. I even sent tweets to Aperture Expert and Scott Bourne to maybe get an answer. Apple discussion forums are no joy as well. Strange that I cannot find an answer. Figured I wouldn't be the first one to try to solve this problem. Thanks anyway.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Yeah I tried that site. I even sent tweets to Aperture Expert and Scott Bourne to maybe get an answer. Apple discussion forums are no joy as well. Strange that I cannot find an answer. Figured I wouldn't be the first one to try to solve this problem. Thanks anyway.

If you do, let us know.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Here's the answer I received at ApertureExpert.com

"If I understand correctly, you basically want to create a double-page spread, meaning a single photo spans two pieces of paper (like a two-page spread in a magazine)—but in a single JPEG?

The easiest way I can think of is to create a custom book in Aperture, make a single page layout that does what you want, and then add photos to the new "book". Once created, that custom template will be there forevermore for you to use. Then you can "print" the book, but choose to export as a JPEG (from the PDF menu).

Here's the basic steps:

1. File > New > Book
2. Book Type > Custom
3. New Theme…
4. Customize page size to match what you want… i.e. 22" x 8.5" standard printer paper horizontal, double-wide
5. Name your theme so you can find it later, and Choose Theme
6. There should be a page layout exactly as you want already; a "full bleed". Don't choose the 2 page bleed, as that will make your page 44" wide. If you want to edit that page (i.e. to add a title, or a border, whatever), select the page, switch to Edit Layout mode, and modify as you like.
7. Delete all the excess pages. You can't delete the very first page (the cover) AFAIK, so you'll need to keep in mind that that's a throw-away page in the future, however you can delete the photo box from it in the Edit Layout mode, so you can't accidentally add a photo to it.
8. Duplicate that page to make as many of these pages as you need.

You now have a "book" that gives you the layout you want. Instead of having to go through this every time, leave that book empty and call it something clever like "master 2-page spread". Then whenever you want to output some 2 page spreads, just select that "master" book and choose Duplicate Book.

Now to actually output these…

1. Add photos to your duplicate book (drag them to the book icon)
2. Add the photos to the pages. You can do this automatically with the Autoflow Unplaced Images command.
3. Open the Print menu, and from the PDF drop-down, there's an option to save "PDF to folder as JPEG". Choose that, and off you go. This is actually an applescript, so watch for the spinning gear menu in the menu bar to tell you it's doing something. Once it's generated the files, a dialog will pop up asking where to put them.

I hope that answers your question. Long answer, but easy to set up, and once set up, even easier to implement!

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert"

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Here's the answer I received at ApertureExpert.com

"If I understand correctly, you basically want to create a double-page spread, meaning a single photo spans two pieces of paper (like a two-page spread in a magazine)—but in a single JPEG?

The easiest way I can think of is to create a custom book in Aperture, make a single page layout that does what you want, and then add photos to the new "book". Once created, that custom template will be there forevermore for you to use. Then you can "print" the book, but choose to export as a JPEG (from the PDF menu).

Here's the basic steps:

1. File > New > Book
2. Book Type > Custom
3. New Theme…
4. Customize page size to match what you want… i.e. 22" x 8.5" standard printer paper horizontal, double-wide
5. Name your theme so you can find it later, and Choose Theme
6. There should be a page layout exactly as you want already; a "full bleed". Don't choose the 2 page bleed, as that will make your page 44" wide. If you want to edit that page (i.e. to add a title, or a border, whatever), select the page, switch to Edit Layout mode, and modify as you like.
7. Delete all the excess pages. You can't delete the very first page (the cover) AFAIK, so you'll need to keep in mind that that's a throw-away page in the future, however you can delete the photo box from it in the Edit Layout mode, so you can't accidentally add a photo to it.
8. Duplicate that page to make as many of these pages as you need.

You now have a "book" that gives you the layout you want. Instead of having to go through this every time, leave that book empty and call it something clever like "master 2-page spread". Then whenever you want to output some 2 page spreads, just select that "master" book and choose Duplicate Book.

Now to actually output these…

1. Add photos to your duplicate book (drag them to the book icon)
2. Add the photos to the pages. You can do this automatically with the Autoflow Unplaced Images command.
3. Open the Print menu, and from the PDF drop-down, there's an option to save "PDF to folder as JPEG". Choose that, and off you go. This is actually an applescript, so watch for the spinning gear menu in the menu bar to tell you it's doing something. Once it's generated the files, a dialog will pop up asking where to put them.

I hope that answers your question. Long answer, but easy to set up, and once set up, even easier to implement!

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert"

Great! Thanks!

miketick

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
UK
white borders

When i use the export to jpeg script I get a white border around all the exported images - does anyone else get this?

jlinaschke

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
USA
When i use the export to jpeg script I get a white border around all the exported images - does anyone else get this?

Can you provide more info please… what script, accessed from where? Are you talking about from the print > PDF menu, or a third party JPG script, or… ?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

miketick

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
UK
I am using the built in print, PDF, save PDF folder to JPEG that is there with aperture. I've also found the automator workflow in PDS services in the Library, which calls a render PDF to JPEG action but no mention of adding boarders (or even an option to do so) is in the workflow.
I've made a photo book and want to use a cheaper photo service to get the book printed.

jlinaschke

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
USA
I am using the built in print, PDF, save PDF folder to JPEG that is there with aperture. I've also found the automator workflow in PDS services in the Library, which calls a render PDF to JPEG action but no mention of adding boarders (or even an option to do so) is in the workflow.
I've made a photo book and want to use a cheaper photo service to get the book printed.

Oh, so you're printing a book page? Does the book page have full-bleed photos, and those have a white border?

Can you do me a favor…*can you post this question on http://www.ApertureExpert.com/forum where people with more experience printing might be able to help out? That would get you the best information.

cheers
-Joseph

miketick

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
UK
Problem solved. The export routine was using the print paper size (which defaulted to US Letter) that should have matched the photo book paper size. By reducing the paper size I managed to get rid of the wite border.

Cheers
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.