Aperture 3 FAIL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by X-JRO, Feb 18, 2010.

1. X-JRO macrumors member

So I picked up Aperture 3 yesterday to replace iPhoto '08 I've been using. Now I'm sure some updates will come to fix it but, as at, it is almost unusable. How did this pass bata, HOW?!

Anyway, memory whore issures aside I'd like to know how to get rid of my iphoto stuff.

I followed THIS (well, not exactly, I had a ****ing hernia trying to figure out you had to CLICK the actual iPhoto icon! HOW GOD DAMN REDUNDANT IS THAT?! 'Import from iPhoto library' it already knows where I want to import from, why the **** do I need to click it?!)... anyway.

When I go to the last step and choose to consolidate my masters and I choose 'move' (to aperture library) it comes up with:

No Referenced Files

This selection doesn't have any referenced files.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?!

Thanks again guys​

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I'm actually afraid of more ***s... Since I'm going to ask a maybe stupid question. Are you sure you imported your iPhoto pictureas as referenced files into Aperture? Maybe the files are already in Aperture's library, and that's why you don't have any referenced files left.

How big are your Aperture and iPhoto libraries? And what happens if you right-click on the Aperture library and do "Show contents" - can you find any original images? (Be careful not to change anything inside Aperture's library. Just look at it...)

Hope it helps.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While there is no doubt some bugs with AP3 I have found it stable and great so much so that I'm switching from LR to Aperture. I also think that an update is immenant.

As for the OP's problem I can understand his frustration but it is a good application

4. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Even if they're already in the aperture library they're still also in the iPhoto one.

5. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

BUMP

Can anyone help please? :(

6. mcruzader macrumors regular

How big is your Aperture library, if the file<import<iphoto library doesn't work I would just drag all pictures out of iphoto onto the desktop and import them into Aperture.

7. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Did you see any original images in your Aperture library? My suspicion is that you - maybe inadvertently - have already imported the masters into the library, and therefore there are no referenced masters left that the Consolidate Masters command could move to the library.

I would make a copy of your iPhoto library onto an external drive, then delete it from your internal, start Aperture and see if you can access the masters. If yes, they're already in your Aperture library, and you're set. If not, copy back the iPhoto library.

Let us know how it worked.

8. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

I've got around 5,000 photos. Every time I move the photos from iphoto they copy instead of 'move'.

All of the photos in the Aperture library that were put there in the aforementioned method were labelled 'iphoto original'. Right now I've only got a 500 GB time capsule. It's got around 122 GB left so I though it would be cool. After copying a few files it said it was 'unable' to do something. I don't remember the message exactly. I'm waiting on a 4 TB raid so I may have to wait until then.

Any more guesses? I'm NEARLY ready to call Apple help :mad:

9. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I mean - aren't you all set then? If your masters are already in your Aperture library, you cannot "consolidate". Consolidate means putting any referenced images into your Aperture library. If you have the originals in there, there's nothing to consolidate. I don't know why Aperture copies instead of moves - but it seems to me you've accomplished your goal?

10. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Hard drive space...

It seems to be mirroring them? Like, displaying them from iPhoto... I don't want to put them on Aperture, delete my iPhoto library and find all my photos gone from Aperture as well. I DO have a time machine set-up but still it'd be an ass.

Has no one else really had this problem. I find it hard to believe it's only me.

11. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Okay guys, what I had to do was open 'package content' of the iPhoto library and take the originals out that way. I moved them to the desktop (or copied them, who knows) and deleted the iphoto library. iPhoto is now empty!

I then just used import to get them into my empty Aperture library.

Thank **** for that. One last question: now that all of the files are in my aperture library is the folder of 'originals' I have from iPhoto just taking up space on my drive? Do I need them?

I'm asking because, after I got everything Aperture, I deleted one of the originals and it was still fully accessible in Aperture. I then had a look in the package content of the Aperture library and it organises the files there too. Why do I need two copies?

Cheers

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Aperture keeps originals and keeps a copy of the altered version. It's so you can revert back to the original master with ease. Of course there's going to be multiple versions since the Masters will also take up space.

If you're running out of disk space, I'd suggest you get more disk space rather then trying to delete the masters so there's only 1 version of the picture because thats not how aperture works.

13. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

That's only almost correct. Aperture keeps the original, and instructions how the original was altered. It only makes a copy if you edit a pic in an external editor like Photoshop.

I think the OP’s referal to disk space was in relation to having masters of the same pics both in iPhoto and Aperture.

14. mcruzader macrumors regular

Aperture keeps a master and metadata on changes to that picture, but if the OP dragged and dropped the pictures, from iPhoto and then to Aperture, hey might have imported all master and changes from iPhoto into Aperture, hence full copies of those pictures.

15. GeraldButton macrumors member

I downloaded the trial from Apple last night and oh my what a difference from the last version. Even last night while trying to do some BASIC adjustments my machine kicked and fought to keep up, it was extremely slow. There was also an issue trying to add my watermark, as in Aperture won't do it properly. If I scale it, it's stretched and distorted, if I leave it with no options, same thing, stretching and distortion, and if I put it in the lower right corner, it's smaller! but still distorted from it's original size.

If I am going to buy Aperture? Im looking for someone selling a version 2 disc, im pretty sure the local university will still have them.

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

my iPhoto library is a bit mangles - i have some photo's in the iPhoto library, but then i decided to stop "copying photo's" to the destination and use my own folder structure...

i'd actually like to get everything into 1 library now and not use my own folders, but iPhoto's..

and then import that library into Aperture's library...

or can I simply tell Aperture 3 to import my iphoto library into Apertures library, and this will pull the photo's from within iPhoto's rolls and also my own folder structure?

then can i just delete the iphoto library?

hard to explain... hope someone understands.. lol