Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macinsomniac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
MBA 13" Ultimate - i7, 256 GB SSD

I downloaded the Aperture 3 trial to test the new MBA performance to see if it would be capable of editing ~13 MB RAW files. I was impressed by the snappiness of jumping between photos (note: a small library of about 20 photos from a new import) and adjustments.

Once I began testing the Skin Smoothing brush, however, things went downhill. I began seeing flashes of graphic glitches and multi-colored artifacts that look like tearing. I was once able to quickly capture an example with a screen grab, although the saturated colors instead look subdued in the capture (see attached).

I've been searching Google and forums for similar experiences with Aperture or Air graphics but have been unable to find anything. My assumption, therefore, is that this is a more unique case and that I'm either pushing the Air beyond it's limits or there is defective hardware or software. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Aperture Air.png
    Aperture Air.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 409
Last edited:

macinsomniac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I posted the same experience in safari with no answer. Fwiw. It was based on a pic intensive forum post. Have a look at my recent posts to see the example.

edit, here's the thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1196515/

Thanks for bringing your post to my attention. Yours seems to be a somewhat similar case with graphics display. Have you contacted anyone at Apple by any chance? I'm going to download and test a game or two to see if I can't push the GPU in another application. Photoshop has performed fine so far.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
No issue in photoshop. This was a one off and after restarting safari it hasn't returned. However it is graphics corruption, which is concerning. I'll pay attn to heat if I see it again. Maybe the gpu is overheating. Definitely will post back should it happen again. The fact that it wasn't my machine makes me think it could be a driver issue.

Did yours occur after scrolling?

macinsomniac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
No, I have only experienced this issue when using brushes in Aperture 3. Scrolling has not produced any visual graphics problems. Photoshop performed well even when using a large, soft brush across a 5100px x 3300px canvas.

I'm wondering if Apple has yet to release an Aperture 3 update for the Intel HD 3000 chips. If this were the case then I would expect to see other complaints by now. This is unacceptable at any rate, though. I've seen many reports of decent Aperture performance on previous gen Airs; I would expect this one to be at least decent as well.

codecq

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Same problem here

Severe Problems with using brushes in Aperture 3.1.3 and the new MacBook Air!

Heavy graphics glitches while trying to apply a brush stroke in a zoomed in image. More problems while selecting a brushes size: small sizes somehow set the center of the brush way off from your cursor.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I tried it and had the same
Issue last night. Fwiw.

Lightroom gets confused by the os gestures too. Both need to get fixes ASAP! I wouldn't be surprised if adobe didn't fix 5.0 and mandated a 5.5 upgrade. Blah.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
I'm experiencing a similar issue on my 1 day i7 11". Was on the phone with apple care today. Reinstalled lion, reset memory, etc. No prevail. Waiting to hear back from the tech. He stated that he hasn't heard of this issue, so please call in people so they can get this adjusted.

JP

redache

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
I think it's down to the Intel GPU as I have issues with Minecraft where the graphics glitch and I have a friend with the same GPU and he gets artefacts on Linux.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Similar issues here when using brushes in Aperture. Seem to occur at random, restarting the App often fixes it. I experienced same issues with my Macbook Pro when i upgraded to Lion, so from experience it's more of a Lion+Aperture issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.