Aperture 3 GPS "Places" woes...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flinch13, Feb 21, 2010.

1. flinch13 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to get Aperture 3 to work with any GPS log file. And I mean anything. Not CSV, KMZ, NMEA or GPX files. Either they are not read at all, or they are read halfway and crash the program.

I'm using a Columbus V-900 which produces weird CSV files, but seem to export fine using TimeAlbum to basically any format I want.

Any thoughts? Maybe a software update soon to make this feature work better?

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I only tried GPX but it worked OK. Well it displayed the tracks in Apeture, but it didn't automatically stamp positions on any photos. I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not, but I hope so as my current software does do that from track logs.

3. flinch13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks steve-p.

I'm certainly able to produce GPX files. Aperture just keeps spitting them back at me and quitting. Maybe a software update.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

It might be that it's not very tolerant of the exact format, and it likes mine but not yours. I'm creating mine using the Mac software that came with a GisTEQ PhotoTrackr.

You could maybe try converting from csv to other formats using a different tool e.g.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

5. flinch13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'll look into it and see what I can do.

I think Apple would be wise to accept Google's ubiquitous KMZ gps files, but what do I know.

6. flinch13 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, so a little progress. I managed to import a track into Aperture by converting it in GPSBabel, so the track looks fine, but the time values are not preserved (the entire track says 7:00 PM, which is the correct time for the start of the journey, but not the whole thing obviously). I'll keep trying.

7. flinch13 thread starter macrumors regular

Just for reference I exported the CSV file to a GPX file from TimeAlbum, then used GPSBabel+ to export the GPX file to a GPX file. I looked at the text for each GPX file a bit, and basically the second GPX file (the one that actually worked with Aperture) has the same exact code as the first GPX file (from TimeAlbum), except the time code has been set to 00:00:00 or something like that for every time entry. Weird, but at least it works with Aperture. Sort of.

Still looking for a fix, any input welcome.