Aperture 3 - import weirdness

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Westside guy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I was going through my library, trying out some of the new stuff like Faces. I happened to run across this odd problem among some test shots I took back when I first got my D700. I haven't touched these photos at all in Aperture 3. In my Aperture 2 library both of these images look similar, but Aperture 3 did something weird with the second one (along with several others in this set) when it imported the old library.

[​IMG]

Note that the second image is a TIFF, while the first one is a version based on an NEF file.

Addendum: Apparently it's a problem Aperture has with these TIFF files - I just added them to the library straight from disk and got the same odd color. Both Preview and Photoshop display them correctly.

2. ekevhall macrumors newbie

I totally agree. If I import a photoshop file without a "composite image" or not saved with compatibility and try to edit that file in photoshop, photoshop copies the 62meg file to something about 6 megs big to edit. Obviously, the data is gone there.

It turns out the files are still there, stuck deep within the directory structure of the Aperture lib. And if you locate them and resave them with compatibility, then re-import them Aperture FLATTENS the image first. So the layers are gone.

What a pain.