Aperture 3 in Mac OS X Lion

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

I'm a little late to the game upgrading to Lion, but before I pull the trigger I want to get one thing clear.

My primary photography workflow is Aperture on two monitors: one for a full size view of the current image and the other with the entire set of thumbnails in the browser view. Basically I just want a yes/no answer:

Does this still work with Lion?

I've heard all kinds of conflicting information on how Lion handles full screen mode with multiple displays. If I can't use that same workflow for Aperture I'll probably stick to snow leopard. I'm sure everything else I do currently will be fine in Lion, but I want to get an answer on that question before going forward with the upgrade.

Thanks

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
while i don't run dual monitors yet, A3 runs excellent on my mid 11' iMac running Lion.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Here is a link that might give you more info.

Full screen issues with Lion on multiple monitors

Most of these complaints seem to stem from trying to run two separate apps in full screen mode with Lion. Since Aperture is one app that is designed for dual monitors, they may not apply. I had a ton of issues with Lion on my '08 MBP. I'll give it a try when it gets up to the .5 update. Snow Leopard is fine for me.

Dale

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I just tried it. Aperture 3.2.1, OS 10.7.2 on a mini server, two 1080p ips panels. I guess you can.. they must have fixed some issues in recent updates; I quit using Aperture 3 early after installation because it used to suck. I'm giving it another go, I guess. Glad you brought up this thread, OP :)

Oh yeah, set up: secondary viewer > alternate, main screen > filmstrip, go fullscreen, viola! Double clicking alternate toggles between fit on screen and 100% res view.

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Thank you for that unhelpful and potentially condescending link to an uninformative spec page.

I'll contribute something more useful that I've found from my own research since posing this question:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1017&message=39455371&changemode=1

sorry I wasn't being condescending ... I read your thread question as such 'Does Aperture work on Lion" ;) Because you separated the question from the paragraph that included your problem. :(

The problem has nothing to do with Aperture, but the monitors. There is an invisible boarder on the monitor which you have to unlock so that you can work in dual monitors. When you hook both monitors up, that Application is unlocked in System Pref - Displays. I haven't done it in awhile but I noticed when you attached more than one monitor or anything else that involves an outside source, the Sys. Pref will change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.