Aperture 3 IPTC location tags to Places

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by steviem, Mar 8, 2011.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Hi,

I've started using OSX again, as nothing in Linux compares to Aperture for photo management (still have an Ubuntu server, as for serving stuff, it's pretty great) and I'm going through putting my meaningful photos into Aperture, a day shoot at a time. I've only gotten part of the way through my library, only finishing May 2010, but I feel like this will be a worthwhile exercise for me and that if I continue with this, when importing from my camera, I will have a nicely indexed library with useful keywords.

I'm using a date based folder and project hierarchy, and importing each day with IPTC tags appended which include keywords and City, State/Province, Country.

This is a shot of the hierarchy I'm using:
    [​IMG]

And the metadata I'm using:
    [​IMG]

Is there an automatic way to get the City, State/Province, Country information into 'Places'? Otherwise, I can at least just do a search for photos in a certain place and then manually give them their locations...

Thanks!

2. rebby macrumors 6502

When I "geotagged" all of my photos last year, I couldn't find an automatic way to do this within Aperture. I'm sure that there are a few perl (or similar) solutions out there but that would (likely) require a re-import. That was a deal breaker for me so I just went through them manually. It wasn't that difficult. I got through roughly 20,000 photos in just a few hours.

I created a Smart Album for all of my "Untagged" images. I keep it around for maintenance of my geotags now. There is also an Album called "Unknown Locations" in my "GPS Albums" folder. Any image that I don't know the origin of goes into this folder (this keeps it out of my "Untagged" Smart Album). When I was going through in mass, I just kept my "Untagged" album sorted by date and hit them top to bottom using the Places view. Most of my images could be tagged 30, 40 or even 100+ at a time.

Attached Files:

3. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

I figured as much... Thanks for the idea though, it looks like it will work for me :)

4. digipeter macrumors member

An interesting and for me a most welcome example @Steviem, since I'm just starting to learn the very basics of AP3. Therefore I have some practical questions about the way you organize your hiërarchy:
    1) Any reason why you don't use 'albums' in the maps and/or projects '09/'10, instead of the numbered (sub)maps you keep using for these years?
    2) Why do you use numbers in these (sub)maps and projects, instead of giving a name for identification about what's in them ("Travel", "Country", "Family" and the like)? It was my presumption that this kind of naming was one of the strongest arguments for adopting Aperture.