Aperture 3, laggy, slow, memory leak in Lion!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kavanahuang, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kavanahuang macrumors newbie

Just upgrade to Lion, does anyone notice that Aperture 3 is extremely laggy, slow and consuming a lot of memory?

My hardware:
    Macbook pro mid 2009
    8G Memory
    115G SSD

2. hardz10 macrumors newbie

I find it slow and laggy too but apparently it's an aperture thing.

White Macbook (Mid 2010)
    OS Lion
    8GB Memory

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yeah, but Aperture 2 sucked too. I gave 3 a shot but once again other than its file management system that I love, I always export masters to Adobe to do the work on 'em..:rolleyes:

I don't think Lion has anything to do with it in this case.

4. Darby67 macrumors 6502

I would suggest for the OP it's a combination of processor (big portion) and OS (small portion). I was convinced Aperture (2 and later 3) was a pig on my older C2D MBPs. I got a DC i7 first which picked up the speed a bit and now the QC i7 and it is actually quite nice, zippy and responsive.

5. dmanthony, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

dmanthony macrumors newbie

I too have been having this problem with Aperture 3 running under Lion. In order to work any photos at all, I have to close every app before opening Aperture. Once in Aperture, my 8GB of memory just disappears quickly. I have to use an automator script to free up my memory (or close and reopen Aperture) in order to free up my 5GB+ of stollen memory back. My fix still doesn't help me much as I like to keep Chrome running for Gmail, Facebook, etc alerts.

If I could go back in time, I never would have screwed myself by installing Lion. Snow Leopard was rock solid with Aperture running. I was even able to have multiple apps open at once too.

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Other than Faces (which I turn off already), what did they add to Aperture that has made it so bloated and slow?

It'd be nice if they would modularize Aperture so I could manage and organize my library quickly and only load the image manipulation tools if I need them.

7. frnak macrumors member

frnak

Big Files

For me, Aperture works ok on small photos that do not exactly exceed 10 megapixels. Adjustment on the photos are also nice and snappy.

The problem arise when working with RAW files or large quantities of DSLR images. My Macbook Pro 13" (2009) QUICKLY grinds down to a halt, the moment I start editing 2-3 RAW photos.

I don't know if Lightroom users with MBP experiences the same slow down when editing massive files consecutively. Perhaps people can comment on this.

8. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I normally bring in RAW photos from my 60D, but now that Aperture has become such a dog, I'm looking at ways to change my workflow. I'm playing around with Adobe Bridge, but it's not clear whether sorting in Bridge and reducing the library size in Aperture is going to make much of a difference (my library is only 10k photos).

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

To the above about Lightroom, this doesn't seem to have the same problems, Aperture uses the GPU more than Lightroom does, so if you have an older Graphics Card in your machine Lightroom should be better

Saying that, I have an older machine (2007 white MacBook, 2GB RAM and the GMA950), I have set Aperture to run in 32bit mode and it has helped greatly with the performance for me

10. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Thanks for the tip on 32-bit mode, I'll give that a shot.

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

It's noticeably better with the application set to 32-bit, it seems like it thinks it has more than 4GB of memory to work with when set to 64-bit mode.

12. Keleko macrumors 68000

When I got my new iMac, I put in 12GB because Aperture was too memory intensive for my 4GB MBP. It's just fine with 12GB and Lion.

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I didn't realize until yesterday that my "Early 2009" iMac supports up to 8GB of RAM.

One day and forty-five dollars later... wow, what a HUGE improvement in the overall performance of my iMac. I'm still running Aperture in 32-bit mode, but it runs MUCH smoother now.