Aperture 3 Libraries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GeoffreyH, May 24, 2011.

1. GeoffreyH macrumors newbie

HI, am running Aperture 3. Have created a new library, Library 1. This i placed in pictures in Finder. Have imported photos into Library 1, but as referenced files in a folder. The size of this library 1 is 20Gb, my question is, in pictures where Library 1 has its little icon, i am told it is about 1.5Gb. What is this 1.5Gb from, as the photos are not stored in the Aperture Library?

2. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe those are the previews that A3 generates. The size depends on what quality you have selected.

3. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

duncanapple, you are correct, they are the previews as well as the actual edits made to your photos. But mostly the previews.

4. GeoffreyH thread starter macrumors newbie

Aperture Libraries

Thanks for clarifying the issue of libraries. Geoff

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I've found that, in my case, thumbnails occupy a ton of space also.

Right now I have around 25GB of thumbnails and previews in my Library, and thumbnails occupy more space than previews in my case.

6. isaacck macrumors newbie

That was the case for me, seems that thumbnails are never deleted, even if you move the referenced files and force re-importing them in the library from their new location, you end up with a lot of duplicates.

I had to manually delete all thumbnails and let A3 re-create them overnight to get the library to a reasonable size.