Aperture 3 or Aperture 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macswitcha2, Mar 19, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I have aperture 2 and thinking of upgrading. Is it worth it? Are there still issues? I was using the trial version and I like the new features but was killliny my Ram....

Also, if I delete Aperture 2 in order to upgrade, do I also lose my photos?

2. GeraldButton macrumors member

You won't lose your photos. It will just update or upgrade your library. As for me I wouldn't upgrade. I tried the new version and was very unhappy. As you mentioned yourself, it hounded my ram and was slower than all hell even with about 175 photos. I encountered little bugs here and there, and the one that annoyed me the most where I post some of my photos on Deviant Art is that the watermark was CONSTANTLY stretched to the full size of the image even though I set it to appear at 80% lower right.

I downgraded within a matter of hours, I will purchase an update when Apple iron out the kinks. That's just my expierence though, some people have used it without a hitch.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks...I will like to hear other people's opinions. I think for now I'm sticking with Aperture 2

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No issues for me. They've been sending out some updates, and at this point AP3 is a solid product.
    I'd rename AP2 to aperture 2 and not delete it initially. If you do decide to delete aperture 2, you'll not lose your images because they're stored in the library not the aperture.app application that is in the applications folder.

I do highly recommend backing up your library before doing an upgrade, while everything is very stable and seamless with the upgrading process. Its always a good idea.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I can't imagine going back to 2. Once you let the system settle down (once it has been through all your images updating, checking for faces etc) it's plenty fast and the brushes alone make version 2 look very poor.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I actually switched to LR over the summer because LightRoom had better editing capability. I kept my library and so the conversion work back to AP3 wasn't horrendous. I really like the non-modal interface of AP3 and it fits my workflow better then LR, so I cannot imagine going back to either LR or AP2.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I held off on buying AP2 and picked up AP3 on the day it was released. So far I have only loaded about 25,000 photos, but the app has been great! This is my favorite app on my iMac.

/Jim

8. flinch13 macrumors regular

Go for Aperture 3. Upgrading large libraries can be a hassle, but once you get past the hump, it's a glorious upgrade. Fulfills my needs as a photographer. Faces and Places are surprisingly neat, but the core improvements of the software are also nice. Try it out.

9. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I'd hold off for one more update. I've been having pretty significant trouble with Faces support, and time zone support is a mess. A3 has a lot of promise, but I still don't trust it completely.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just turn off faces and that will solve that problem ;) Personally I think faces is mere eye candy, and has limited appeal to a limited audience.

11. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Another upgrader. My frustration is with Nik Software and their attitude towards supporting A3. < sigh >

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree. It is a gimmick. I think they only reason faces was added to aperture is to help a few people upgrade from the much more inferior iPhoto. I am not going to complain. Having more people buy aperture (whether they need it or not)... is good as it gives Apple incentive to keep investing in the product.

/Jim

13. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Admittedly, I'm a big fan of faces and places. I'm not a pro but spend a lot of time and money photographing my family and smart-albums plus faces/places has been a godsend. I can certainly understand turning off the features if you're going after more professional pursuits...