Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I am looking for something to edit some photos with, and not sure which one would suit my needs best. It will be for ametuer photography, making adjustments to photos... but I want something I can grow into learning to use some of the other functions(merging Photos/removing people).

My fiance is the photographer, but I like editing/creating things(Music,Video). I am pretty tech/software savvy so I am not too concerned about a big learning curve if the payoff is better. Obviously there is a price difference, but again if it is worth it I will pay a little more.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
reluctantly...

I say pshop. If you are planning on compositing images, working in layers, etc. Pshop is the way to go. If you just wanted to clean up your images, do some minor retouching, then I would say go with A3. Aperture is SO much easier to pick up, and so much easier to successfully improve your basic images with. The new presets are a huge boon. I also give a big recommendation for Nikon's NIK suite of plug-ins for Aperture. They are phenomenal....

Been doing 95% of my imaging in A3 + NIK these days, switched over about 2 years ago from pshop. I do a LOT of imaging, and life is better with these 2 tools. Pshop is for anything with layers, type, and the final conversion to CMYK (and thats about it).
cheers,
michael

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
There is no comparison between the two apps. Aperture organizes your photos and you can conveniently do most of the edits that Photos need. Typically, only a few photos need such extensive work that it is beyond the capabilities of Aperture.

Photoshop Elements is about editing photos. If all you do are basic edits, you'll be a lot, lot, lot slower working in Photoshop than in Aperture (or Lightroom).

Organizing your photos + being able to do most of your edits > image editing app.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I say pshop. If you are planning on compositing images, working in layers, etc. Pshop is the way to go. If you just wanted to clean up your images, do some minor retouching, then I would say go with A3. Aperture is SO much easier to pick up, and so much easier to successfully improve your basic images with. The new presets are a huge boon. I also give a big recommendation for Nikon's NIK suite of plug-ins for Aperture. They are phenomenal....

Been doing 95% of my imaging in A3 + NIK these days, switched over about 2 years ago from pshop. I do a LOT of imaging, and life is better with these 2 tools. Pshop is for anything with layers, type, and the final conversion to CMYK (and thats about it).
cheers,
michael

Michael, Does NIK work if you use a Canon camera? I have downloaded some presets from ApertureExpert and MacCreate that seem to be enough for basic effects. I use A3 but I am new to the photo edit game.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am looking for something to edit some photos with, and not sure which one would suit my needs best. It will be for ametuer photography, making adjustments to photos... but I want something I can grow into learning to use some of the other functions(merging Photos/removing people).

My fiance is the photographer, but I like editing/creating things(Music,Video). I am pretty tech/software savvy so I am not too concerned about a big learning curve if the payoff is better. Obviously there is a price difference, but again if it is worth it I will pay a little more.

Photoshop does NOT compete with Aperture. they do different things. Yes the two products slightly overlap.

The best is to use both. Aperture as a preference where you can specify and "external editor" app. if you tell Aperture to use PS then you double clicj an image in Aperture it will launch PS and hand over the image, taking it back when you leave PS.

Note the iPhoto will do the same thing. You can also tell iPhoto to use PS as it's external editor.

Aperture is best as managing a large collection of images and making adjustments to them. Photoshop is for making edits, like say removing a utility pole for a landscape shot or fixing bad teeth on a portrait.

dubstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
thanks for all the good info here people. It looks like maybe having both for different reasons is a good idea.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
Michael, Does NIK work if you use a Canon camera? I have downloaded some presets from ApertureExpert and MacCreate that seem to be enough for basic effects. I use A3 but I am new to the photo edit game.

Yes, NIK works with any images. It is a plug-in suite that can work from Aperture, but also has plug-ins for Lightroom & pshop (you would only need the plug-ins for one of the 3 aps).

I love the presets. There is a list of free ones here: http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/2010/02/21/aperture-presets-free-list/

Of those Gavin's are among the best. I use them for quickie clean-ups. Usually I'll apply the preset to one image, tweak the settings, and then lift/stamp the settings on the rest of the batch. Sounds complicated, but it isn't... I can quickly tweak 100 pics in minutes. Priceless. Gavin's stuff is here:
http://prophotoshow.net/seim_effects/2010/02/21/free-presets-pack-for-aperture-gavins-light-study1/

On NIK, buy the whole suite, the cost is not much more than just buying one or two. Amazon has them usually pretty cheaply (but yes, you can spend around $300 for the set... they are worth it. Really.).

Here are some quick examples...

This is b4/after with a decent image with a few issues:

Click for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

This is b4/after of an OLDER image (back at least 3 generations in camera tech), with some major flaws. Went a little over the top, but I like to get a feel for how these filters work, and what they can and cannot do. This pic has multiple builds of the filters used, and is not a finished piece by any stretch. The ability to easily "throw" light in areas deep in shadow is awesome. I have used pshop since 1.0 and taught advanced imaging to other designers and professional photographers... Aperture is a huge advance over pshop in many ways (with the exception of layers & type). It is MUCH much easier to pick up and hit the ground running. I could teach the fundamentals in a few hours, as compared to days and days for pshop. Love it.

Here is another example from an older image with a lot of issues...

cheers,
michael

PS: I have pshop too, but many users could get away without it...

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Yes, NIK works with any images. It is a plug-in suite that can work from Aperture, but also has plug-ins for Lightroom & pshop (you would only need the plug-ins for one of the 3 aps).

I love the presets. There is a list of free ones here: http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/2010/02/21/aperture-presets-free-list/

Of those Gavin's are among the best. I use them for quickie clean-ups. Usually I'll apply the preset to one image, tweak the settings, and then lift/stamp the settings on the rest of the batch. Sounds complicated, but it isn't... I can quickly tweak 100 pics in minutes. Priceless. Gavin's stuff is here:
http://prophotoshow.net/seim_effects/2010/02/21/free-presets-pack-for-aperture-gavins-light-study1/

On NIK, buy the whole suite, the cost is not much more than just buying one or two. Amazon has them usually pretty cheaply (but yes, you can spend around $300 for the set... they are worth it. Really.).

cheers,
michael

PS: I have pshop too, but many users could get away without it...

Michael- Thanks a ton! I've already downloaded some of these presets (Gavin's and Sin City). ApertureExpert (http://www.apertureexpert.com) has some presets that I downloaded as well, but the presets cost about $13. I think I'll use and play with the presets I have added and work my way towards NIK. But your info was priceless. Thanks again! BTW, in my younger days I frolicked at the Jersey Shore and my brother lives there now.

cheers back at you,
flor

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
Michael- Thanks a ton! I've already downloaded some of these presets (Gavin's and Sin City). ApertureExpert (http://www.apertureexpert.com) has some presets that I downloaded as well, but the presets cost about $13. I think I'll use and play with the presets I have added and work my way towards NIK. But your info was priceless. Thanks again! BTW, in my younger days I frolicked at the Jersey Shore and my brother lives there now.

cheers back at you,
flor

no problem at all, you can sitemail me and I'll give you my regular email. I often don't notice the tiny sitemail email notices. NIK may be overkill, especially as you are figuring out Aperture. However, that being said they are worth every cent (and I don't say that a lot, especially about software apps). I just upgraded to A3, and was waiting for my new workstation. The old one was a first gen 24" with 3gb of ram, I held off snow leopard & A3 knowing I was pushing it, (my library has around 75k images). I have 16gb of ram on my 27" i7. A3 flies, and was well worth the wait. Lots of new great features in the new version, but I loved A2 as well.

Go to Flickr, there are user groups for both NIK users & Aperture users there. The forums are good places to pick up tips (NIK has no user forums, which sucks).

NJ gets a bum rap, but the Jersey Shore is a great place to live and raise a family, especially in the southern part.
regards,
michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.