Aperture 3 Performance on 2010 i7 MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by odinsride, Jul 9, 2011.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I was wondering if anyone has had any sluggishness working with Aperture on the 2.66ghz i7 MBP (2010 model). My Mac Pro is not working atm so I have been using my MBP a lot lately to work on my photos.

I've noticed some extreme sluggishness especially when using quick brushes - while brushing/painting in an adjustment it can take up to 2-3 seconds to appear on the photo, and my mouse cursor gets extremely jumpy. If I enable the Color Overlay option, it's even worse, and usually takes about 10 seconds to display the overlay!

I am working on 15mp RAW photos mostly.

My MBP has 8gb RAM and a SSD (though the aperture library resides on an HDD mounted in the optical bay). The Aperture library I'm working with is fairly small - about 8gb, managed files.

Just wondering if this sounds normal or if something is messed up with my MBP...Thanks!

2. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I have the same MBP + 8 GB, but HDD. It is not as slow as you describe. Anything else going on in Activity Monitor?

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Nothing else running other than iTunes and Safari...maybe Safari is hogging all the memory.

Interesting...but I refuse to switch to Lightroom simply because I hate the interface and overall workflow compared to Aperture's.

On my Mac Pro Aperture runs fine with no lag at all, guess I was expecting my MBP to run it similarly since it's fairly recent hardware with some decent upgrades. I guess 4 extra cores and 4gb additional memory makes a huge difference :)

4. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I dunno. Maybe re-install the system software? It doesn't lag much at all on my MBP hooked to a 30" CD. It's quite pleasant to use, at least until Apple destroys it like everything else. But it's good for now. I'm using full sized RAWs from a 5DII.

5. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I have the same model, and the same issue, its painfully slow, and when it's synchronising it's even slower.... Also sometimes the time capsule kicks in, then you may swell give up!

Anyone got any thoughts?

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Time machine running at the same time as Aperture doesn't sound like a good combo. I'd turn of time machine when running Aperture.

7. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Yeah, I usually stop it from backing up when it comes on....

Anyone upgraded the ram to speed it up?..