Aperture 3 photo advantage on SSD

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by FuNGi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Hello,

I use Aperture 3 on my 15" 2011 MBP and am (almost) loving it. I'm curious as to if I would notice a large advantage if my photo library were on a SSD (thinking of switching my OS, apps, and photo library over to a SSD in a dual SSD+HDD config)? The possibility of a significant advantage would dictate the size of the SSD I would get to accommodate future photo growth etc.

Many thanks,

2. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

How big is your Library ?

Since I switched to SSD, my 50GB-10000 shot library opens in under 3 seconds.

3. rebby macrumors 6502

SSD was enough of a performance advantage for me that I keep my primary library on that. I keep my bigger libraries on a traditional spindle due to size however. An SSD is one of the (if not the) biggest performance upgrades that you can do.

4. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

It is about 37GB now but I just got a D5100 so will be "active". 3 seconds sounds sweet. I assume image adjustments are bottlenecked by the graphics processor though right, so the SSD advantage is mainly load time.

I still just use one library ;) but creating a second for "archival" stuff and throwing that on the HDD seems smart.

5. rebby macrumors 6502

Do a search for my username coupled with Aperture. I've gone in detail a few times in how I manage multiple libraries. For the most part, it works very well. My biggest sticking point is with my "global" smart albums. I won't go into that rant here though. :rolleyes:

6. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Thanks Rebby, you sure have an in-depth Aperture file system. Mine is not so complicated as I'm only a hobby photographer.

7. rebby macrumors 6502

For the most part, so am I. I've just accumulated quite a few photos over the years. ;)

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I have dual SSD's in my 2011, 15 inch MBP as well. I have Aperture on the system SSD, and the library (90 gigs) on a 250 gig SSD. Insanely fast. Just crazy. Literally less than 2 seconds from click to looking at the library. If you don't mind having a limited size library (250 gigs is the size of my drive so the library should be a bit smaller) and then have a larger 1 TB Thunderbolt drive as the main archive, I would go for dual SSD's.

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I have both SSD storage and HD storage in my Mac Pro. I use the SSD's for my OS/Apps and my working Aperture Library. I archive my Aperture libraries and my RAW images (DMG's of my memory cards as backup) to a much larger slower HD.

There is a noticeable difference in performance using a library on my HD vs my SSD.

As others have said, buying SSD storage has been the best upgrade I've ever made to any computer I've ever owned.

Buy the largest SSD you can, because soon after you get it, you will wish you had a bigger one so you could store more on it! :D