Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Hi guys. Overall I love Aperture 3, but man.. is it buggy. It feels rushed, and I'm sure we will see a 3.01 bugfix patch soon. But in the meantime...

In my Aperture 3 library I have one photo that is slowing down the whole program and whole system to the point where I have to force quit it every time -- when it doesn't entirely crash my machine that is. I believe it's only one preview because when I click on the ever spinning "processing" text it shows me processing 1 image... but it can never process it no matter how long I wait, and if I wait longer than 10 minutes it crashes my machine anyways.

I believe I have the problem narrowed down to a corrupt preview somewhere, because when I start Aperture holding down shift to suppress previews everything is fine. I have also started Aperture holding opt+cmd and have run all three options multiple times (repair permissions, repair database, rebuild database) but none of them have fixed the problem.

How would you guys go from here? Would it be worth the trouble of exporting projects one by one and importing into a new library and hoping to catch the corrupt preview this way? What would be your advice on how to tackle this problem?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Hi guys. Overall I love Aperture 3, but man.. is it buggy. It feels rushed, and I'm sure we will see a 3.01 bugfix patch soon. But in the meantime...

In my Aperture 3 library I have one photo that is slowing down the whole program and whole system to the point where I have to force quit it every time -- when it doesn't entirely crash my machine that is. I believe it's only one preview because when I click on the ever spinning "processing" text it shows me processing 1 image... but it can never process it no matter how long I wait, and if I wait longer than 10 minutes it crashes my machine anyways.

I believe I have the problem narrowed down to a corrupt preview somewhere, because when I start Aperture holding down shift to suppress previews everything is fine. I have also started Aperture holding opt+cmd and have run all three options multiple times (repair permissions, repair database, rebuild database) but none of them have fixed the problem.

How would you guys go from here? Would it be worth the trouble of exporting projects one by one and importing into a new library and hoping to catch the corrupt preview this way? What would be your advice on how to tackle this problem?
You're not alone. This appears to be widespread. I haven't found a solution yet...

Midwest

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
Singing to the choir

That describes what is happening to me also. Spins its "processing" wheel forever, drinks up all the RAM, and freezes my iMac. I am seeing the same comments all over the place on other forums as well. You would think Apple would have done a better job of beta testing before release. Now I am out of $100 waiting for a fix. Aperture 3 does not work--useless

dbooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
@ Midwest

Try holding down the shift key while it starts. This will suppress preview generation (and Faces processing). When I do this, Aperture works fine. It's very annoying to have to do this, and I know it doesn't fix the problem but only bypass it, but it is a workaround.

sv1cec

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Guys I have the opposite problem (some sort of opposite).

This is the second time it happens.

I was browsing some slides I have imported in Aperture, and one of them, while it shows as a preview, it doesn't show at the top window, nor in the whole page view. The master file is there and it is found by Aperture (it's a referenced file), but it just doesn't show. Actually, when I go to full page, it initially opens the file and shows it to me with the various adjustments I have made, but then it vanishes and shows me a black screen. Also, if I pick up the loupe, and move it around the black page, I can see in the loupe the part of the image that I am moving over, just as if the image was there. Same thing if I zoom in, I can see the picture in zoom mode, but not in the normal mode. Strange!!!!

Any ideas?

Also, the new way of deleting versions .... am I alone in finding it stupid? I mean in the past, I could delete a version without deleting the master. Now, if I delete a version (and that's the only version from that master), it goes in the trash can, and if you delete it from there, it deletes the master as well. Who on earth designed this new method???

iwannamango

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Washington DC Area
Same problem starting Dec 2010 -- any solution found yet?

I've been having Aperture hang on startup since Dec 2010, and the only way I can get into Aperture is by holding the shift key upon startup. Just checking in if anyone has found a fix for this problem, since the previous posts to this topic were from Feb/Mar 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.