Aperture 3 Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Futhark, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Futhark, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hi all the problem I have is my own fault but hope someone can advise me what i should do?

I decided i didn't want my Aperture Photos on my Laptop and wanted them to be stored onto an external hard drive that was connected to my netgear router, so i started the export but the mistake i made was not actually connecting the hard drive to the laptop and letting them transfer wireless. :mad: during the lengthy process the transfer failed so now i'm assuming i've links to my pictures in both places my laptop and the external drive.

Here comes my second stupid mistake, I attach the hard drive to my laptop directly and then startup Aperture only to notice all my pictures still showing up from the laptop itself, so relieved i delete what had transferred to the hard drive only to discover today each picture has an icon in the bottom right hand corner from what i can tell means offline, I can still click on the picture and view it full size but trying to edit now or even use loupe can't be done.

Is there anything that can be done? I do know about 6 months ago i copied the FULL Aperture Library from Pictures to another external drive which will contain most of these images i'm just wondering how i can copy them back into Aperture without erasing anything new or causing any more damage :D

Any help would be much appreciated

After checking my backup hard drive from 6 months ago it shows Aperture Library but says it's 0 bites and a file i haven't seen before and it's labeled Aperture Library.aplibrary.has_invalid_date.twonky

If this backup has gone i am going to have to work with what i have on the laptop itself :-(

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It does not sound like you were "exporting" the pictures to your external... instead it sounds like you were creating "referenced originals" instead of "managed originals". When you deleted those files... you deleted your originals.

What you are seeing now is offline originals. Aperture is designed so that you can lower res preview pictures even when your referenced orignals are offline.

First thing you should do is make a new copy of your current Aperture library someplace, before you do more damage. Then... restoring your entire Aperture library from before you created references masters is probably the very best thing to do. If for some reason you do not have a backup anymore, then...

...Have you been backing up those referenced originals prior to deleting them off of your external? Restoring them would be the next best approach. Once they are restored... then make them managed originals instead... to get your entire library back to its original and coherent state. If you do not have that backup either...

... Is your six month old library still intact? Is it truly a full library... or did you export pictures to get that old library. You can try to open that old library by "File > Switch to Library > library name". Your best bet may be to open that library and use it as your "new library"... and do you best to pull in as many pictures as you can from wherever possible over the past six months.

/Jim

3. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hi Jim, thanks so much for the reply, I'm a little confused here? many of my images in my projects have the offline symbol and when i check to see where the original is placed it's listing the MY PASSPORT external hard drive which i deleted thinking the images were still all there on my laptop. Here's what's confusing me, when i go into Pictures > Aperture Library & Show Contents and then goto the Masters Folder i see the images there?

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When you look into the Aperture library (using "show package contents")... you can see the originals for the same pictures that are seeing as being offline? If so... that is a good sign.

Generally, when Aperture shows pictures as being offline... it is because they are referenced and the disk holding the originals is offline (or the originals were deleted.

Give us a scale of the size of your library (in photos)... and approximately how many of those are offline and missing.

Also... do you have any backups?

/Jim