Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
My hard drive on my MBP is becoming full. I currently have my Aperture 3 files referenced on this internal drive. I am thinking about moving these referenced to an external drive.

If this external drive is plugged in via USB to my Time Capsule will this work as if plugged in directly to my MBP? Will the files be editable etc as normal?

Can I back up this external drive that is plugged into the Time Capsule back to the Time Capsule using Time Machine?

Thanks.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
you need to be able to mount the drive to your mac.. if you can, then it works. I don't have a TimeCapsule...

yep as long as the drive mounts to the mac when connected to the time capsule, it should be fine.

you may experience delays when accessing files however since you're adding now adding a USB connection and an intermediary device between you and your masters, but other than that you shouldnt have any problems.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Thank you both.

you may experience delays when accessing files however since you're now adding a USB connection and an intermediary device between you and your masters

Would it be better in this case to store the referenced files on the Time Capsule and back this up to the external hard drive? Is this possible?

Just to clarify my question: If I have my referenced files stored directly on a Time Capsule is it possible to back these up onto an external hard drive plugged directly into the Time Capsule (Firewire/USB) using Time Machine? If so how do I go about setting this up in Time Machine?

I am trying to avoid needing to have an external hard drive permanently plugged into my MBP. Thanks very much for your help with this it is much appreciated and there appears to be conflicting info on this around the web. Cheers.

nikron

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you both.

Would it be better in this case to store the referenced files on the Time Capsule and back this up to the external hard drive? Is this possible?

Just to clarify my question: If I have my referenced files stored directly on a Time Capsule is it possible to back these up onto an external hard drive plugged directly into the Time Capsule (Firewire/USB) using Time Machine? If so how do I go about setting this up in Time Machine?

I am trying to avoid needing to have an external hard drive permanently plugged into my MBP. Thanks very much for your help with this it is much appreciated and there appears to be conflicting info on this around the web. Cheers.

Just curious, did you finally succeed in setting up the Time Capsule + external hdd with Aperture and Referenced files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.