Aperture 3 Running Slow on OSX Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by meerkat35, Jul 22, 2011.

1. meerkat35 macrumors newbie

Trying out Aperture 3 and I think it is running slower on my 2010 iMac and 2010 MBA compared previously on Snow Leopard.

I have my Aperture library on Time Capsule shared between my two Macs and:

1) I am getting more beach balls when browsing Projects and Libraries
    2) importing same images from iPhone 4 now takes longer.

Need to tryout DSLR tethering and importing from CF cards next...

... or is there a way to fix or minimize this issue?

2. firth74 macrumors newbie

I have the same exerience. Aperture 3 on both my iMac and mbp er considerably slower, and I get the beach ball much more often than before. I haven't found any solutions to this, but I hope it'll be adressed soon.

I also hope the mouse-cursor-jumping-at-random will be fixed, as this is even more annoying.

3. Clark Kent macrumors member

If you check over at the Apple support forums, it seems like a lot of people are having this problem.

Aperture is running like a dog on my machine since going to Lion. Just making the simplest of adjustments gets my MBP fans spinning at full speed and my computer sounding like it's ready for takeoff. Sending a picture to Photoshop and saving it back to Aperture takes 10 times longer than under SL.

Apple hits another home run with the pro apps crowd!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's so bad I'm getting screen draw problems. I can watch the white line outlining the image I clicked on slowly draw around the photo.

Shockingly slow I've had to leave it alone unless absolutely necessary. Just have to wait for an update I suppose. Glad I'm not making a living off it or I'd be massively annoyed.

It's also deleted all my black and white edits from silver efex pro 2 after the update and that made me REALLY mad.

5. vemssi macrumors newbie

Yes, Aperture 3 on Lion 10.7.0 is fast as a dead horse.

After just 3-5 images and the hard disks are rattling like they would be crunched in Blendtec's Total Blender. The mighty beachball is all over the place no matter what slider I touch. Quit, wait for the disks to calm down a couple of minutes and start again for the next 3-5 images…

It's completely useless.

6. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Same here. I get a beach ball until I finally force quit. :(

7. Northgrove macrumors 65816

Noticeably slower here as well. I've only heard a suggestion to run it in 32-bit mode, so maybe I should try that. My 4 GB laptop has really slowed down in Aperture 3 since Lion, and even to the point of crashing sometimes. I guess it's running out of memory? Never happened before.

I'm hoping this is just a "child's disease" and that Apple is looking at it for a forthcoming OS X fix (I really think the issue is in Lion, and not Aperture 3 that needs updating).

8. revenent macrumors regular

When i was on SL, Aperture was slow. Loading of the previews in detail levels of 9 and scrolling the projects in browser mode was slow.

After installing a fresh copy of Lion, all of that are gone. I was not expecting an increase in performance. I have about 50GB of photos mostly in RAW format. :confused: Everything sculls around nicely. It is choppy but at least the previews are there. In the past on SL, scrolling was very choppy and the previews are nothing but just grey boxes and until those load up, the scrolls paused momentarily.

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Aperture is actually a lot faster for me,however when i have to return into 32bit mode (for some plugins) it is very slow, i only have like 60gb of photos though.

My dad has over 400gb of photos and its blazing fast, did you clean install lion or upgrade?

10. TheDrift-, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Is it just the previews that are slow or is everything slow eg editing??

Have you checked your preview preferences? New project generate preview and use embedded jpeg when possible should both be ticked and photo preview half size and quality 8 medium are the default settings I think

If not have you tried it in 32 bit mode? do you get the same thing...?

http://thedigitalstory.com/2010/02/switching_aperture_t.html

11. carlgo macrumors 68000

Lots of people think Apple could care less about anything that isn't iOS. They could be right.

12. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Aperture users have been waiting for a couple of years for much needed updates. Lion's release only added to the list of problems.
    Have a look here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1019381

...and here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1286058

The clean install suggestions aren't helpful, and they don't work for everybody anyway.

The best thing to do is write to apple via the 'Provide Aperture Feedback' option in the Aperture menu. The more apple hears about specific problems then the more they can implement relevant changes. Moaning about it in these forums doesn't achieve anything unless you get a quick fix from a user with an identical problem.

Aperture is Due an update, and chances are that could happen in February (According to a guess based on the last update) - if you've got an idea about what improvements are needed then feed back to Apple.