Aperture 3 trial

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scorch07, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Does anybody know how the Aperture 3 trial tracks that it's been used. The reason I ask, I kinda want to play with it now, but I also want to be able to try it once I get my next MBP, whenever Apple decides to give us some Arrandale love. I'll probably migrate my user account over, so if it ties it to that somewhere I guess I better wait, but if it's in the system file I should be able to try it on my current machine and then again when I get my new one right? Anybody know how it works?

2. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I'm guessing it's by preference file or something like that. Sure you can circumvent that, but they're relying on that being too big of a pain to be workable.

If you're changing machines, it's a good bet that you can rerun the trial.

I don't know this for sure, mind you...

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, one other question. Does it live beside Aperture 2 or replace it? As in, should I for some reason choose not to buy it, will I have to re-install Aperture or just remove Aperture 3?

4. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

The trial version does not replace A2 if A2 is registered (full product, not trial). If one were to install the full A3 (not trial), then it will probably replace A2 and the A2 library. Backup before install to be sure and safe. :)

5. MADMAXX macrumors member

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) The Trial version is per machine not per user. You can try it for 30 days on unlimited (compatible) Macs, but only one 30 day trial per Mac -- unless you deleted the hidden pref file or wiped your drive -- neither worth the effort.

2) When you install the Trial version and have A2 in the Apps folder the installer will ask you to rename A2. I just put a "2" next to "Aperture."

3) You can upgrade the Trial version to full w/ a upgrade, full, volume lic., as appropriate. So no need to reinstall. Just put the paid sn in and it converts on the fly. You can upgrade either online or w/ box version. I'd rec. box version since you don't save a dime buying an online sn and don't get the paper manual.

7. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Good point on getting the manual. Having the media also helps. :)

8. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everybody! Got it up and running perfectly! I don't think there's much chance I'll be passing on this one. Very nice upgrade.

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Nice trial... This is where having more Macs come into play. 3x30 days again? Thanks very much!

10. belltree macrumors 6502

Does A3 phone home or require manual activation?