Aperture 3 Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ted Witcher, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

It seems that people are having the best results when installing a fresh copy and bringing their libraries over from an external vault. I went and bought the upgrade version of A3, but now I think I've made a mistake: before I open the box, can someone tell me if the "upgrade version" is merely a complete copy of the app that looks for an existing serial number, or whether it is, in fact, a different version that rewrites A2 -- which I'm not sure I want. I went with the box only because it contains the sample images and the download version does not; I'm willing to return this and get the download version if it is the only way for a clean install. Thanks.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Executive summary: My experience indicates they should be able to coexist.

Longer explanation:

I was trialing Aperture 3 for a while, so I didn't upgrade my existing library - I created the v3 library from the vault. However when I decided to upgrade I completely removed that trial version of Aperture (by looking at the "Files" listing in the installer and deleting everything listed), then installed from a retail box - so that's the version I'm running, not the download.

For the moment I have separate libraries named "Aperture 2 Library" and "Aperture 3 Library", and separate apps "Aperture 2" and Aperture (which is version 3). Both versions of Aperture seem to launch and run just fine. When I launched Aperture 2, I did get a registration reminder, which is a bit odd; but after I clicked "Later" the app ran just fine.

Note that because of how library management has changed, once you've run Aperture 2 its library is considered the default - so if you then launch the Aperture 3 app, you'll get a warning about needing to upgrade the library. Fortunately you can quit without doing anything (so the v2 library won't be touched); but you'll need to select and launch v3 by selecting the v3 library that first time after running v2. Aperture 3 will remember this choice in the future, at least until you've run Aperture 2 again.

3. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, you seem to have proven my theory. So once more to recap: if I install from a box ("upgrade version"), this is, in fact, a complete version of the program. I can then build a library from a vault and have everything work fine, no issues that many others are reporting. You have chosen to keep A2; I'll be removing it, which would mean our systems/install methods are identical when you and I open A3. You're having no issues, and hopefully neither should I.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Yes, I expect that will work. If you rename and set aside your Aperture 2 library, so Aperture 3 doesn't upgrade it, that'll give you extra insurance. You can always delete that copy once you know everything has gone smoothly upgrade-wise.

BTW I intend to remove Aperture 2 and the older library once I'm comfortable there are no surprises with Aperture 3 or its library.

5. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

Everything went fine -- this is a slightly unrelated question. I now have, in my library pane/panel, a folder which says "Aperture 2," and my various projects are nested within that folder. Is there a way to remove the folder designation and just have the projects sit within Aperture's projects list like normal? I thought about simply dragging all the projects, which works, but I stopped because I thought if I deleted the (then) empty "Aperture 2" folder, it would somehow find the projects above it and delete them as well. Any thoughts?