Aperture 3 Upgrade Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hudsora, Feb 12, 2010.

1. hudsora Suspended

The whole library update for Aperture 3 keeps hanging for me and I have done it two times.
    So I was wondering if I could just drag the single projects from my Aperture 2 library into a new Aperture 3 library.

Would this do all of the same upgrades necessary as the normal update?

Any ideas on if this would work or if there is another way to go about this problem would be helpful!

Hudsora

2. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I have no idea, but I'm getting really frustrated with the upgrade process. It claims it's "processing" forever, but never makes progress.

Faces and places are turned off....

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

And my watched threads increases by 1. Have to see this issue resolved or at least how to avoid it before upgrading to A3.

4. hudsora thread starter Suspended

I tried dragging and dropping the projects into Aperture 3 and at first it was working but now I am getting the Processing and it freezes the system. . .

Quite frustrating, I am just going to have to use Aperture 2 until this is resolved. . .

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

How big is your Aperture Library ? and How much free space is there on your hard disk. I have seen a comment on a photography forum that Apple say you need 50% of your library's size as free space on your hard disk to successfully upgrade your Library.

6. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

300GB library, 250GB free on disk.

7. qua macrumors member

Success, at last - some pointers

I have 4 large Aperture libraries that needed updating, on two machines. Great update, with only one complaint: where the hell is the needed lens aberration correction? Strange omission.

I did this on a Quad Tower and a 2.8 Core 2 Duo laptop. Notes:

1- Disable screensaver. An absolute necessity on the laptop, the screensaver coming on would be all it needs to totally stop everything. The Quad simply slowed down some.

2- UNCHECK the box that offers to "Reprocess" your images. Even including this option is patently INSANE, unless you get your jollies walking on hot coals. It is absolutely not needed. Without this done, when you bring up an image, you will have all the tools from before, plus some. Plus, at the top of the Adjustments window, you will be given a large BUTTON for reprocessing that image, on the spot and instantly. Also can be done in batches, although I fail to see the purpose for the torture. Even if the option is there during the initial upgrade, having it checked by default is a cruel joke. If I were Jobs, I would be PISSED.

Checking the box will make the upgrade process take over 10 times as long, and hang repeatedly (if you insist on being a masochist, leave the hangs go, they will work themselves out. Go start a pot of tea and watch some TV). The one library I did this to on the laptop was 45 gigs and took over 6 hours.

3- Immediately turn off "faces" in the preferences. You can turn it on again when you go to bed. The app is useless while it is functioning. Personally, I see no reason for it.

8. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

If you have an external drive large enough, I would move the A2 library to it and then convert.

9. hudsora thread starter Suspended

I decided to try one more thing to see if I could import to whole library, and it has worked. . .somewhat. . .

What I did was run Aperture in 32-bit mode and than did the whole library import. It went through just fine and the only problem came was when it was processing and got to the last two files. Aperture is now hanging on processing the last ones so to override this I am now opening Aperture while holding down the shift key. This seems to be working! I have disabled faces because it is something that I probably will never use and it is just a big hassle and I don't want to create any more problems.

10. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

My upgrade went smoothly. Unfortunately I have been having annoying performance issues. I only have 3,368 photos in my library. I have 4GB ram and 197 GB HDD free space. I was adding photos to Faces and Places last night and experienced the spinning ball of death and freezes several times. I had to restart Aperture several times. Overall I feel A2 was a lot faster. I do not remember having any issues with A2. I hope :apple: fixes this soon.

11. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

My upgrade went fine and am playing with Faces.. Boy, is that awful. there are huge delays after adding some faces and going back to the main screen.. keep in mind i already waited the eternity for it to process all the faces. I have 8 core 2.8 MP with 12gig of ram. library is 85gig.. not as big as some of you with 300gig.

not sure i'm going to fork over $100 for this, not any real need/features.