Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Q for those who know Aperture 3.x and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.

I've got Aperture 3.x and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9,
I looking at version 12, can I now edit the RAW file directly in Photoshop Elements then come back into Aperture directly , or does Aperture create a huge TIFF file to capture the edits of Photoshop Elements?

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Q for those who know Aperture 3.x and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.

I've got Aperture 3.x and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9,
I looking at version 12, can I now edit the RAW file directly in Photoshop Elements then come back into Aperture directly , or does Aperture create a huge TIFF file to capture the edits of Photoshop Elements?

No, you can't.

You can never actually edit a raw file. A raw file isn't an image - it's information about what the camera saw when you pressed the shutter.

Both aperture & elements can interpret that information to create a preview of an image, but they don't speak the same language so don't interpret it the same way. (This is why the same raw file will look different when opened in different programmes).

Because the different apps don't speak to each other, the only way you can transfer edits between them is to export an actual image file (JPEG, TIFF, etc) and then edit that. This "bakes in" all your changes, so it'll look the same regardless of the app you open it in. Sometimes the created file is larger than your original raw.

Hope that helps.

njoynjp

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
Aperture 3.x compared to Adobe Photoshop Elements 12

What is your opinion of APE 12 vs Aperture as a DAM tool? It looks like Adobe is offering an online service to manage photos. I use Aperture, but I'm not happy, it seems to hose my computer A LOT. I use it to organize and do light editing of my photos. The editing is easy and the organizing is pretty straight forward -- I am sure I do not use all of the features of either. I also use SmugMug as an online service, but perhaps APE 12 could replace Aperture and SmugMg

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
What is your opinion of APE 12 vs Aperture as a DAM tool? It looks like Adobe is offering an online service to manage photos. I use Aperture, but I'm not happy, it seems to hose my computer A LOT. I use it to organize and do light editing of my photos. The editing is easy and the organizing is pretty straight forward -- I am sure I do not use all of the features of either. I also use SmugMug as an online service, but perhaps APE 12 could replace Aperture and SmugMg

In my opinion, Aperture is the best DAM a mac user can buy. That is to say, it offers the most flexible & intuitive ways to manage all your photographs.

I have never used Elements 12, but from what I've seen its asset management looks more like that of iPhoto.

You asked specifically about Digital Asset Management, so I'd say that Elements would be a step backwards. However, if what you're actually looking for is simpler management with greater editing flexibility then Elements might suit you perfectly.

What is it specifically about Aperture that you're not happy with. You said it seems to "hose your computer a lot" - what do you mean??

vlherring

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Also using Aperture 3+ and PSE 12

I use Aperture for almost everything but use PSE12 at times for some edits -- but I for some reason can never find the things I've edited. I do a Save and yet the saved image, while I know it exists, won't come up in the Aperture window -- even doing Show All or searching by the File name itself. I've even searched by TIFF and it doesn't show up = yet when I go into the folder inside Aperture where it saved, it is there.

Any suggestions on how to handle PSE12 edits so I can for sure find them again in Aperture??

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
We I do edits starting in Aperture and invoke a plugin (Nik, Perfect Photo, Pixelmater...etc.) when I save and close the image in the plugin, I come back to Aperture with the TIFF file that was created by the plugin. Aperture knows where the TIFF is stored.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I use Aperture for almost everything but use PSE12 at times for some edits -- but I for some reason can never find the things I've edited. I do a Save and yet the saved image, while I know it exists, won't come up in the Aperture window -- even doing Show All or searching by the File name itself. I've even searched by TIFF and it doesn't show up = yet when I go into the folder inside Aperture where it saved, it is there.

Any suggestions on how to handle PSE12 edits so I can for sure find them again in Aperture??

Do you use the "edit with {your editor}" option... or do you use "Edit with external editor" option?

Either should put the edited image directly into the same project as your original.

/Jim

vlherring

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Do you use the "edit with {your editor}" option... or do you use "Edit with external editor" option?

Either should put the edited image directly into the same project as your original.

/Jim

I wish...I use the Edit with Editor [PSE12's Editor is selected as the editor and it opens the picture fine], not plugin [I have ColorEfex and SilverEfex plugins and they open as plugins and work okay] - the problem is PSE12 makes the image into a .tif and not a .tiff file = the images do go back into Aperture evidently but the .tifs are not recognized and can't be seen and the .tiffs [I have to save as and rename the image from 7878.tif to 7878.tiff and then save] sometimes aren't either = when I do a SaveAs I see the list of contents of the image's folder in the dialog box and can see both .tif and .tiff but when I open Aperture the .tif is missing = the .tiff sometimes is there = and it has ended up being 2x-4x the size of the RAW 20mb and sometimes it overwrites the original CR2 RAW file in Aperture and becomes the new 'original' version. It may be settings inside PSE12 but I thought they were correct...in any event, that's the summary of what is going on.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I wish...I use the Edit with Editor [PSE12's Editor is selected as the editor and it opens the picture fine], not plugin [I have ColorEfex and SilverEfex plugins and they open as plugins and work okay] - the problem is PSE12 makes the image into a .tif and not a .tiff file = the images do go back into Aperture evidently but the .tifs are not recognized and can't be seen and the .tiffs [I have to save as and rename the image from 7878.tif to 7878.tiff and then save] sometimes aren't either = when I do a SaveAs I see the list of contents of the image's folder in the dialog box and can see both .tif and .tiff but when I open Aperture the .tif is missing = the .tiff sometimes is there = and it has ended up being 2x-4x the size of the RAW 20mb and sometimes it overwrites the original CR2 RAW file in Aperture and becomes the new 'original' version. It may be settings inside PSE12 but I thought they were correct...in any event, that's the summary of what is going on.

Check to see if PSE can save .tiff by default... that is the only thing I can think of. I do not use PSE so I cannot check for you. I do have CS6 which works fine.

Regarding the image file size... tiff's are huge. I get the same large file sizes. I have never had an original file overwritten.

I would probably question if PSE is worth the hassle. As I said, I have PS6, but I do not think I'll ever purchase it again. Between Aperture and NIK plugins... there just is not much need for other type of editing. If PS6 stops working at some point, I'll probably move back to Pixelmator.

/Jim

vlherring

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks much = the PSE default is tif and as far as I know one must change it to the tiff format == I did a test again with a different aplibrary using PSE to do a sketch version of an image = I did the sketch version, went to Save As - changed the extension from tif to tiff. *and used the word 'sketch' to denote the images were worked on in PSE12 --

I checked [in the save as dialog] and the folder with the save as target is inside the Aplibrary, not some other place.*BUT when I go to the Aplibrary itself to look at these images [there are two I have done this with =- both with word Sketch in them] they are nowhere to be found - I have done text search and they don't show up at all.

I'll work on this some more and will report back on what I find = I mainly use the Nik Efex set with Aperture and don't need PSE much at all, but for a few things it really is more helpful - at least so far. Many thanks for your help.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use Aperture and LR with Nik Collection and Perfect Photo Suite 8. I have Pixelmater and rarely use it. I long ago deleted Photoshop and PSE. IMHO. the Layers module and other modules in Perfect Photo Suite are so much easier to use than PSE or PS when doing masks and layering. Try the Perfect Photo Suite 8 trial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.