Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Burgun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Manlius NY
I am importing photos as referenced files and using Finder to manage my photos. My question is how do I get the photo edited in aperture to reflect back to the original? Thanks

fromcristobal

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Let me see if I got you right, you want to undo the edition? If that is the problem then you'll have the original RAW (assuming you have a RAW compatible camera) next to the edited photo. If you're working on JPEG or similar then you're pretty much screwed unless you had a back up of the photo.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AFAIK, one of the features of Aperture is that it doesn't create a new photo (or mess up the original one) when you edit. It simply stores information in its database about what you did when you edited it. When you go to redisplay the edited photo again, it uses the original photo, and then re-applies the edits. Saves a lot of disk space by doing that, but that does essentially break using Finder to view photos (if you want to see the edited photos, anyway).

Exporting versions will create a new photo (JPG, whatever) of your edited photos, but probably way more work than you want to get into.

James Burgun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Manlius NY
Aperture 3 editing

I am importing photos as referenced files and using Finder to manage my photos. My question is how do I get the photo edited in aperture to reflect back to the original? Thanks

If i use aperture to edit a lot of photos do i have export each file one at a time? After editing i save them to a server and they display on a photo frame in my kitchen. I came from windows were you worked with the file it self.. Thanks.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Aperture doesnt disturbe the master. It uses a version as the edited version as part of the library. This way you can always return to the original without issue.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If i use aperture to edit a lot of photos do i have export each file one at a time? After editing i save them to a server and they display on a photo frame in my kitchen. I came from windows were you worked with the file it self.. Thanks.
FWIW, on the Mac, there are programs that let you work directly on the file themselves, like Pixelmator. Aperture is more of an organizer/editor, and has a different approach for handling edits, as you've seen. The plus to that is that your original files are never touched, and you can have as many edited copies of original files as you want, using minimal extra disk space (until you go to export them).

Personally, I let Aperture manage my photos, and I never mess with them in Finder. For my picture frame, I created an Album in Aperture, and I drag over the files I want. When I want to refresh the picture frame, I right-click on the Album and do an Export of Versions (versions are you edited photos) to a folder (which is typically the SD card of the photo frame).

If you haven't already seen the Aperture video tutorials, check out:
http://www.apple.com/aperture/how-to/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.