Aperture 4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gaz81, Jul 4, 2011.

1. gaz81 macrumors member

gaz81

Does anyone know if Aperture is due for a major upgrade anytime soon?

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Only Apple knows. Aperture 3 is quite capable and robust today, well worth the $79 on the App Store.

Also, please use question marks when posting a...question. Many people will click this link, thinking you have information about a new version of Aperture, but you disappoint them. Use question marks.

3. damson34 macrumors 6502

Why would he need to put a question mark? The point of the title is to sum up the relevance of the post. His post is about Aperture 4. Just because your personal preference is is to put question marks on titles doesn't mean he is forced to or to even think that it's common for people to get upset about it, which it is not.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Aperture 2 was released in 2008, and Aperture 3 in 2011. I highly doubt that we'll see Aperture 4 until 2013 at the earliest. Apple doesn't update their "pro" apps very often, in fact they go several years between iterations.

5. damson34 macrumors 6502

Aperture three was actually released in Feb 2010

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Forced to? Going overboard a bit maybe. This is standard forum etiquette, and has nothing to do with my personal preference. Sorry you are new to the internet.

8. Razeus macrumors 601

The new Aperture version will be known as iPhoto Pro.

9. gaz81 thread starter macrumors member

gaz81

Thanks for the info folks.

As for the question mark, my appologies for causing such a twisting of knickers!

10. Javik macrumors regular

Because that is what aperture is?

11. Razeus macrumors 601

If that can make Final Cut Pro X iMovie Pro, why not?

12. Javik macrumors regular

Aside from the fact that most people just simply coin fcx as iMovie pro as it is the new "buzzword" and can't think for themselves/ have no first experience with the program, Aperture will simply not be called iPhoto Pro.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed! Especially the part about people not being able to think for themselves. I see it all the time on this forum.

Honestly there isn't really anything I can think of that I want Aperture to do that it doesn't already. Maybe an option to change the background of the program from gray to a darker shade would be nice, or a full screen editing mode when Lion comes around but other than that there is really nothing I can think of that it needs. The photography world changes a lot slower than other fields.

14. gaz81 thread starter macrumors member

gaz81

True, I'm not saying there is much wrong Aperture 3.

In was thinking under the hood performance boosts etc.

15. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

USUALLY, when a company reduced the price on a piece of software by $120, its to clean out all the old copies, in advance of a new version. Of course, since Apple has trashed all the old copies of everything, and is only selling stuff on-line and DL-ing it, maybe that's not true anymore.

16. iBunny macrumors 65816

I clicked on this link thinking Aperture 4 was just released!

I was like, w0000t

Sigh. Anyway, no one knows. C'mon people, you know Apple... no one knows anything until its released. Except maybe those Taiwanese kids who post on 4chan. :p

17. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Yup - I think Apple reduced the price because a. selling 10x as many copies at a quarter of the price means more profit, and b. because it got people using the App store quickly by positioning it as something that delivers real value. And c. that they are reducing the price of their 'pro' apps across the board (e.g. Final Cut Pro X or whatever it's called).

Anyway - Aperture was a no-brainer for me at the price it's at now.

18. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

One important thing everyone here is not taking into account: Aperture is/was designed and built from the ground up by Apple. It was simple for Apple to put Aperture 3 on the Mac App Store, because Apple controls 100% of the Aperture code base.

Logic was bought from a German software developer called Emagic. At the time, the software was still available on the Windows platform. Apple killed that, but continued to develop Logic for Mac on the same foundation. I remember being quite upset about this, as I had access to Logic Platinum in the studio... :rolleyes:

Final Cut Pro was based on early Adobe Premiere Pro code. Up until Final Cut Pro 7, the same code base was built upon and it was only with Final Cut Pro X that Apple had rewritten the code from scratch, thus making it possible to put Final Cut Pro X on the Mac App Store -- no licensing (or patent) issues.

What upsets me however, is that Apple at the time bought Color, a twenty-thousand dollar application and essentially killed it with the release of Final Cut Pro X. The asking price for the previously available Final Cut Studio was really minuscule if you do the math. I hope Logic will not suffer a similar rewrite of the code base. I have to say that I'm enjoying Final Cut Pro X so far, but will have to use Adobe Premiere Pro for work. $400 for an advanced video editing system is reasonable. Notice that I said 'advanced', not 'professional'.

The reason I reminded you of these facts is that Apple developed Aperture in the first place and has controlled every aspect of Aperture development since version 1.0. Unless Apple decides a rewrite of the code base is needed, I think it is safe to assume that Aperture will retain its look-and-feel even in version 4, which I personally suspect is coming in early / mid 2012.

Have a nice day.
    ~Yousif

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Please god they do release a new version soon.

I've reinstalled Lion and Aperture 3.1.3 and the performance is absolutely rotten. Even screen redraws are taking ages, when I select a photo the little white box draws in a little bit at a time until the photo is selected eventually.

My machine is basically unresponsive while it's being used and even for a short period of time after it's been quit (which takes upwards of 2 minutes right now), nothing changed, never had a reason to complain about performance but ever since 3.1.3 went on it's been a right pig.

20. fretbuzz macrumors newbie

I can't tell you how much I wish they would let me "darken" the bright, BRIGHT background. I hate it. Full screen viewer just doesn't cut it for me.