Aperture and DxO

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by garycurtis, Oct 27, 2013.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I have been slogging my way through the learning process on Aperture v 3.5.

Definitely preferable to LightRoom. But tough to learn.

The 600-page User Guide doesn't include a table of external editors or plug-ins which will work with the program. Can I use DxO?

2. r.harris1, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

I'm not aware of an easy way to send files back and forth between DxO Optics Pro and Aperture. They're both RAW processors, as well as Aperture also being a DAM (DxO can also perform this function but not their strength). DxO does expose their film pack as a plugin.

I use both tools (among others), but tend to work in one or the other depending on my needs for a particular image.

PS: I haven't ever read the manual but a plugin list is here.

3. JackRoch macrumors member

I was slogging away with Aperture too – until I inadvertently upgraded it to 3.5 which won't run on Snow Leopard!

I think the answer is sadly "no", DxO won't run as a plug-in.

However… my main reason for using DxO is it's lens/geometry correction so I'm considering getting DxO Viewpoint which, as far as I can tell, covers all DxO Pro's lens corrections with the exception of vignetting. DxO Viewpoint runs as a plug-in for Aperture/Lightroom/Photoshop and as a standalone program.

I'm not really experienced enough to tell whether DxO or Aperture is a 'better'/preferable RAW converter but since that seems to be their primary function, sadly it's an either/or choice.