Aperture and Flickr

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emorydunn, Aug 24, 2011.

1. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Recently I decided to split up my Aperture library into lots if smaller libraries and it's worked great except for one thing: Flickr integration.

Linking Aperture with Flickr works really well for one giant library with all your photos in it but not so well when the Flickr sets aren't of photos in a given library.

Basically what I want to know is if there is a way to have Aperture only show the Flickr sets that it creates instead of every Set on the Flickr account.

Having every Set is a nightmare for a few reasons. First it makes organisation very difficult as I have a huge list of of Sets that aren't actually in the library. Second, if I accidentally click on one of the set it syncs the photos down to my current library and adds clutter.

EDIT: Actually, I think one of the updates to Aperture at some point added this feature, where it would access everything on Flickr, and at the time that sounded great.

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

I don't think so, but I can't know for sure until I return home this evening.

I have run into this problem as well. Having all my Flickr sets becomes a pain as it is very long.

3. emorydunn thread starter macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I kind of didn't think there was a way to do this. All this means is another reason for Aperture 4 to be split into two applications: the editor and the manager.

The manager would be a way to organise your libraries. Anything that doesn't involve actually editing photos could be done here (like exporting to Flickr). Of course, Apple would never do this but we can always hope.

4. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Then they would be copying, to some extend, what Adobe already does. Not with LR but in the way or Bridge and Photoshop (organizer and elements).

And in that case the Aperture Editor better kick serious butt..

5. emorydunn thread starter macrumors 6502

emorydunn

To a certain extent, although it would be more like Aperture and the an Aperture Library Manager. Because no matter what your opinions about Aperture are you have to agree working with multiple libraries (especially looking for a single photo in multiple libraries) is annoyingly hard.

Not to highjack my own thread, but the way i see it is the current iteration of Aperture would stay the same (plus whatever cool new image editing features are added) and then the separate Library Manager would be a central place to browse, preview, and open a library into Aperture.
    So you could view all of the preview images Aperture generates in its libraries and then if you needed to make edits it opens the library in Aperture.

In addition to this it could also read the edits to export full resolution files, send them to Flickr, Facebook, print, etc. And all this while being super quick, which may be the reason why it's a pipe-dream :D

6. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Agreed , BUT since i moved my masters out of my Library and consolidated all the other libraries back, it's actually quite ok to work with in A3. I guess the 8GB ram helps but before this was slow, now this is ok and nice i have to say, and since then i didn't run into the multiple libraries problem anymore. YMMV.

//F

7. emorydunn thread starter macrumors 6502

emorydunn

That is one option. Although speed isn't an issue for me so there's no advantage to moving the masters elsewhere. it's more of an organisation thing for having separate libraries.