Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi all!

I was wondering... I have a iMac 27in 3 TB fusion drive and an external 3TB Porche LaCie backup.

I would like to know the way to manage the pictures...

Back in the days, when I had my PC(Windows), I was importing my pictures from the SD card to a folder in the C:\ drive.

Now I use Aperture to import my pictures. If I understand properly, when I import them in Aperture, they go in "Aperture Library" in images. This is a database with all my pictures from Aperture (projects, etc - JPG and NEF files).

I just configured my LaCie Porche 3TB to be TimeMachining my iMac.

You can correct me or give me better advice on what I've said.

My main question is, all the other folders of pictures I have in my Finder, should I import them to Aperture to projects and then delete that folder of pictures in my finder since they are now already in the "Aperture Library" and it will be doing a backup to my TimeMachine LaCie?

Thank you for correcting me, guiding me to a better solution!

Thanks!

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Aperture has 2 methods of keeping your files:
Firstly, there's a "managed" library. This means that all your photos actually live inside the aperture library.
The alternative is a "referenced" library. This means your photos all live outside of the aperture library, and Aperture just refers back to the original file whenever you make changes.

Neither option is "better" than the other - both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you have thousands of photographs and want to keep a single aperture library, a managed library could grow huge. On the other hand, if you use a referenced library, that means you could keep the small library file on your main computer but have all your original raw files spread out over several different hard drives.

Now I use Aperture to import my pictures. If I understand properly, when I import them in Aperture, they go in "Aperture Library" in images. This is a database with all my pictures from Aperture (projects, etc - JPG and NEF files).
It depends. The default import option is for aperture to manage the files for you by importing them into the database; however you can choose whether you want this to happen or can choose to save them in a different location. Do you remember what you chose when you imported them?

My main question is, all the other folders of pictures I have in my Finder, should I import them to Aperture to projects and then delete that folder of pictures in my finder since they are now already in the "Aperture Library" and it will be doing a backup to my TimeMachine LaCie?

If Aperture is the main app you use to manage your photos then yes, my recommendation would be to import all your images into it. Remember, you can export them to any other location at a later date if you change your mind.

The problem with importing images from your HDD (as opposed to directly from the memory card) is that it'll create duplicates. When you chose to save files in the aperture library it doesn't move the originals, it makes a copy of them.

For that reason, I'd suggest importing all your photos as referenced files by choosing "Store files: In their current location". Once you've done this, highlight absolutely every image in your library & the go to: File > Consolidate Originals...

When asked if you want to copy or move the files, select MOVE.

It's an extra step, but the reason I suggest this is that it prevents creating any duplicates and will expose any duplicates you do have already. All your referenced files will be moved safely inside the Aperture library. Any images left in your photos folder have either been missed, or are duplicates and can be safely deleted.

Apologies for the very long response, but I hope that makes sense & helps.

Last edited:

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for the fast reply. It does make sense and helped me with my questions.

The only thing I am worried about is if all my pictures are in that Aperture Library, Aperture will take forever to open in 5 years from now with the size of that Library?

Is it bad if I drag and drop a folder from the HDD to Aperture in a project and then, delete the folder of pictures I imported from the HDD?

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
The only thing I am worried about is if all my pictures are in that Aperture Library, Aperture will take forever to open in 5 years from now with the size of that Library?

If that happens, you can always export your raw files again and use them as referenced files. Aperture is hugely flexible in the way it lets you manage your photos. In the file menu you'll see "Relocate files..." you can use this to either move referenced photos around on your drive, or to move managed photos out of the library and to another location of your choice.

Is it bad if I drag and drop a folder from the HDD to Aperture in a project and then, delete the folder of pictures I imported from the HDD?

I think that should work just fine, but it's not something I've ever done myself so I can't confirm whether it's 100% safe. I just tested it on a folder containing a handful of PNGs and it worked perfectly, but I have no idea what will happen if Aperture ever encounters a file it can't open.
If that file is not imported to the library, and then you delete the entire folder then you've just deleted your only copy of that file. You may want to bear that in mind.

All the best!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.