Aperture and iPhoto library question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by opticalserenity, Jun 20, 2007.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

So, I've been using iPhoto for a while and I just upgraded to a machine that can support Aperture. So with Aperture, I imported my 7500 or so pictures into Aperture.

Is there any reason or way I would want to use both Aperture and iPhoto and have them share a database?

I've seen references to people who seem to use both, but I was under the impression that it copied the library to the Aperture library. What am I doing wrong?

If you see the attached picture, does this look right? I did kinda like iPhoto because of the simplicity of slideshows, but I guess I can just do that in frontrow or on the Appletv...Is there a way to use Frontrow with the aperture libraries?

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can keep everything in Aperture if you want. Assuming you have Previews turned on (they are by default) then you can open your Aperture library in iPhoto to build slidshows, cards etc.

3. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, previews are turned on. And when I go to iPhoto, there is nothing there, unless I go to "Show Aperture Library" and I can see the Aperture library, but not use them or anything.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Set iPhoto not to copy images on import and you should be able to drag them images you want to use into the Library.