Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsubame

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Is there anyone that uses both of these apps? For most purposes, Aperture generally suits my photography needs much better than iPhoto 09, but iPhoto has certain features (Places and Faces) that are very convenient. Are there any plans to make an Aperture plugin for these iPhoto features, or otherwise add them into Aperture? If not, what's the best way of maintain libraries between the two apps, as Aperture vaults and photo libraries don't seem to play well with iPhoto libraries (though the reverse is fine) generally.

I do like iPhoto for certain lighter photography needs, as it suits casual stuff I do very well, but for much of my needs Aperture provides more of what I am looking for. I really wish Aperture had all the added functionality, but it doesn't seem like Apple is yet implementing that, so I need to at least find the best medium. Suggestions?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
if you look at the features, they're not exactly professional features. i can't see apple introducing them to aperture in a hurry if ever. they're just for fun, really. there has been no word on plugins or updates to this effect, but you never know. you can of course tag your photos with co-ordinates in aperture and i do this already. you can also assign name tags if you wanted into aperture, but not automatically, which from my brief testing, did not work so well anyway.

that being said, if you used referencing in both iphoto and aperture, i supoose that would work without any problems... work on a couple of test libraries and test it out.

Tsubame

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Yeah, I don't NEED them, certainly not for any professional work, but I do do photography for friends at random events as well, and a degree of automation in tasks such as that would be ideal.

My best solution thus far is keeping most of my stuff in Aperture, and less serious work (the stuff that ends up on FB) in iPhoto.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
There's a free plugin calles MAperture which apparently lets you geo-tag images using Google Maps. Haven't tried it myself, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.