Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Is it possible to use both Aperture and iPhoto and share the libraries between them. So if I edit a picture in Aperture the changes will be reflected in iPhoto and if I move a picture in iPhoto the changes will be reflected in Aperture?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Is it possible to use both Aperture and iPhoto and share the libraries between them. So if I edit a picture in Aperture the changes will be reflected in iPhoto and if I move a picture in iPhoto the changes will be reflected in Aperture?

I doubt it. Aperture and iPhoto each use their own repository, and their own methods for storing original images and edits. I'd be really surprised if they used a common database schema to the point where changes made using one of them would be picked up by the other.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
I was afraid of that. Can Aperture do some of the new things that iPhoto '08 can do like Web Galleries and Events? And can Aperture sync with an iPod or and iPhone. If Aperture can do that, it would illiminate the need for iPhoto altogether.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I was afraid of that. Can Aperture do some of the new things that iPhoto '08 can do like Web Galleries and Events? And can Aperture sync with an iPod or and iPhone. If Aperture can do that, it would illiminate the need for iPhoto altogether.

There's an overview page here, and a 30 day free trial download, so you can check it out and see if it suits you

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

The way it works is that you do ALL your edits and changes in Aperture. iPhoto can reference the Aperture library, but changes made in iPhoto will be lost. This only works if you have Aperture set to generate previews (the default setting). Then you can use iPhoto for Web Galleries, cards etc. Events are an iPhoto internal organisational tool. They do not work with Aperture.

For syncing to an iPod or iPhone you use iTunes as normal. If you have Aperture generating previews then iTunes can sync just fine from that.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Okay, so if I do all my changes in Aperture, organizing them into evens in iPhoto will not mess anything up? That would work very well for me if that is the case. I like the Aperture file method better than iPhoto's anyway (not copying the file).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Okay, so if I do all my changes in Aperture, organizing them into evens in iPhoto will not mess anything up? That would work very well for me if that is the case. I like the Aperture file method better than iPhoto's anyway (not copying the file).

I didn't mention Events for a very good reason: I don't think you can use them here. Events only work if the photos as in your iPhoto library. If you are using Aperture then they won't be.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
OK...well that is not too big of a deal so I stll see myself using that system to organize everything. Thanks!

ross

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.