Aperture and iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trevoristight, Jul 4, 2008.

1. trevoristight macrumors newbie

I downloaded the free trial of aperture 2 and it seems most of the features are like iphoto just more advanced. Aperture seems excessive and doesn't work like I would like to, the adjustments don't seem to have a different effect than the same adjustments in iphoto. I use the hot cold areas, but I guess it comes down to me using jpeg over RAW images.

My main question is if anyone knows if I can do an option click repair tool in iphoto similar to aperture that's really the main difference I've seen. So is there anyway the retouch tool in iphoto can do a little more not too much, but just a little more, right now it blurs the area I draw over. Is it more like the spot and patch in aperture rather than the repair & clone?

Also does anyone know any easier way for spell check? Instead of going to the edit menu, I am used to right clicking and using the correct word in the right click menu.

Let me know.

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

You have some exploring to do, my little friend.

IMO, the main differences are how they handle edits, comparing multiple versions, organizing (via Stacks), and saving disk space.

Edits: They are truly non-destructive. I guess they are in iPhoto too, but not the same way. iPhoto creates a "modified" version (2nd copy) of the photo when you edit it. Aperture creates an XML file that describes what you did to the photo, but the original photo is the only one that exists. It just renders live (miraculous, imo) using the XML-described changes.

In iPhoto you can backup through the "Undo" menu, like any other app, or "Revert to Original". In Aperture, you can make 20 edits over a period of years, then come back a year later and just remove the 4th edit you made. Brilliant, imo.

Comparing multiple versions on the same screen, simply by selecting them, is awesome when you take a bunch of similar pics (think burst mode) and want to find the best one.

Stacks is also fantastic, especially when shooting in burst mode. I shot a wedding a few months ago. I'm not a wedding photographer. I'd a bad amateur photographer who has cheap friends who saw that I have a nice camera. Since I didn't have the first clue what I was doing, I shot a lot of pics in burst mode. Sometimes up to 12 at a time. I shot about 850 pics. After comparing and ordering, I grouped bursts into Stacks, with the best of each burst sitting on top.

Saving Disk Space: This comes back to the way it handles edits. Take a single image, and duplicate it so you have 10 different versions of it. Crop one to a close-up, turn another black and white, another sepia toned, etc. 10 copies of the photo, each with different edits. How many picture files are now sitting on your hard drive? Only one! Each version just has a tiny XML file describing the differences between the them.

3. altanstu macrumors newbie

altanstu

Hi. Mine is more of a problem than a reply. I have been using Aperture and love it. Recently I bought a new MacPro thinking everything would be hunkydorey. No such thing.
    I am having difficulty importing photos to aperture. Sometimes it works, other times it will just hang on me and I have to force close the machine. Today it will not even load files that are in Projects for quite a while. It wont close. It will let me make adjustments to one project, the one I was working on yesterday, but only to some files. I have checked that these files are actually on my hard disk and they are. Aperture Support takes the weekend off while the rest of us have to sweat it out. Please inspire me, anyone.:confused: