Aperture and Nik HDR Plugin

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LongSticks, Oct 5, 2013.

1. LongSticks, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

LongSticks macrumors 6502

I have had a quick search through the Forum for anyone else having this issue and cant find it.

I have Aperture with Nik Plugins. Everything works fine apart from HDR Efex. Every time I launch it from Aperture, it crashes Aperture completely and I get the the Apple Crash report.

Is anybody else having the same problem?

Current software versions are

Process: Aperture [314]
    Path: /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/Aperture
    Identifier: com.apple.Aperture
    Version: 3.4.5 (3.4.5)
    Build Info: Aperture-320090000000000~1
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [159]
    User ID: 503

PlugIn Path: /Library/Application Support/Aperture/*/HDR Efex Pro 2
    PlugIn Identifier: com.niksoftware.hdr2.aperture-edit
    PlugIn Version: 2.003 (2.003)

Date/Time: 2013-10-05 09:59:42.417 +0100
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)
    Report Version: 10

Also if I try and run HDR Efex natively, I get the screen shot below. I have checked the Nik website but cant find any way to see if theres an update fix, as its all changed to a Google site. The error message won't let me check for updates through preferences as it closes automatically. I have tried re-installing to no avail.

Any ideas or work arounds?

*I have tried the Font Book Arial solution from drsquibb and this has not helped!!*

Attached Files:

2. schmick63 macrumors newbie

Yes - same problem here - noticed a week ago and have not found a solution

3. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Wow, just tried to use HDR Efex Pro 2 and it happened to me too - totally crashed Aperture. Thankfully I use the plug-in very infrequently, but it is very annoying to have a piece of software that I've paid full price for (before Google bought Nik and lowered the price!) crashing programs on my computer.

I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 running OS 10.8.5 with 10Gb RAM. I only got this computer 6 weeks go and the plug-in worked fine on my old lMacbook running OS 10.6 with 4Gb RAM.

4. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Works fine for me. Created this just now from a random set of RAWs in my Aperture catalog.

Attached Files:

5. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Just heard back from Nik customer support.

They asked me to confirm my purchase (as I had hadn't bothered to register my copy) and they would then send me a download link for the latest version of the plugin - I'm still using the original version of the plugin from before Google bought the company. I guess that the plugin may also have been updated for increased compatibility with Mountain Lion since I first installed it a year ago too.

Fingers crossed!

6. LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

Me too!

Did the same thing, confirmed purchase yesterday and the link came through this morning from Nik. Won't be able to reinstall till tomorrow, but will post result. :rolleyes:l

From what I've read elsewhere it appears it might be the Aperture update that caused the problem. What's the betting we get it sorted and the Aperture X appears at the end of the month and breaks it again!

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

After Google bought NIK, I had read that all current customers of the suite would be automatically given a "purchase" of the new Nik suite. After waiting several months without being contacted... I wrote to customer service and they sent me the link for the latest version.

I have had zero issues with the software.

/Jim

8. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Yeah, I didn't receive any contact either after the change to Google ownership.

Anyway, I received the download link from Nik customer service earlier today, updates are now installed and all is working fine again :)

Great of them to include the plugin for Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop - something Nik used to charge double for (which I refused to pay, so previously made do with the suite just in Aperture).

9. LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

Same as....

I can report the same.....Google are standing by the original software agreement! All sorted.