aperture and Sony Alpha a380 RAW file problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wilko251088, Jan 21, 2010.

1. wilko251088 macrumors newbie

hi everyone,

i am having a problem with apple aperture, it seems to not want to open up my sony dslr's .ARW RAW file format. i have tried the list of things people have found fixed this problem in previous posts, but all i seem to be getting each time i try and open up the sonys files it gives me a maroon box with "unsupported image format" typed in it. i like aperture but refuse to shoot in jpeg just to be able to do a little editing. apparently an update came out from apple which i installed and made no difference for RAW compatibility.

can any one help me :)

thanks in advance

mike

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. wilko251088 thread starter macrumors newbie

not just aperture, the whole system. preview will open my other sony a350 cameras .ARW files but wont let me preview the sony a380s .ARW files. useless!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Aperture just uses the system RAW decode so it's list is equivalent to the OSX list. Don't let the fact that they are both ARW files fool you: the contents are not the same: it's a raw dump of the sensor data so every sensor produces a different file. I really don't get why you are so upset: Apple publish a clear list of what will work and what won't so you should have known this before you bought the camera. It appears to simply be a case of bad research on your part.

5. wilko251088 thread starter macrumors newbie

looks like its jpeg for me then or just stick to light room, ill just have to wait and see if apple ever update there list of compatible cameras like they did recently.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple release updates every few months although specific cameras can take a while to come through (some never do if they are not popular enough). Probably your best option is to fill in the feedback in Aperture to make it clear you want this support. I think that if you convert the ARW raw files to DNG raw files using whatever Adobe tool it is that does that then you might get them to display in Preview etc.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look towards Lightroom as Adobe seems to update its ACR much more often then apple updates its RAW support and adobe updates LR much more often then apple updates Aperture.

8. wilko251088 thread starter macrumors newbie

yer i will use adobe light room its much more user friendly anyway! thread done!