Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
Hi

I was wondering whether anyone has seen any tests on the new MBPs performance running Aperture with the 512MB graphics card and the 256MB graphics card?

thanks in advance

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I've not seen any tests, but either can run Aperture just fine. Even when using the 9400 chip, Aperture runs pretty speedy without any issues.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
What resolution are you dealing with that you'd need 512MB's compared to 256MB's?

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Hell I'm running it on a 2.16 MB with GMA 950 and it is plenty fast (granted I only started using it in the past month, so I may not have hit yet on the graphics heavy features). I'm sure the 256 will be quite adequate, especially on the new MBP's nVidia chipset (and DDR3 RAM vs. DDR2). Me thinks you'll be more than satisfied

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
thanks for the replies.

I'll be running Aperture at the 15" MBP's default resolution and occasionally on a second monitor/projector.

I use my macbook for showing files (in preview mode) but trying to do adjustment takes far too long.

I don't want to waste money but at the same time if the extra 256MB gives me a 15%-20% increase then that'd be worth it.

Considering that Aperture makes such use of the graphics card its always frustrating that there aren't any tests/benchmarks on this rather than meaningless (for me anyway) benchmarks on games.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Considering that Aperture makes such use of the graphics card its always frustrating that there aren't any tests/benchmarks on this rather than meaningless (for me anyway) benchmarks on games.

Games test the GPU's to their absolute maximum, and are a great benchmark.

More video memory is good for dealing with extremely high resolution files, if you don't you don't need it. It doesn't increase performance drastically by 20% like you were hoping for anything else.

Even games, having 512MB of video memory gives little performance improvement over 256MB.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
My boss has a first-gen 2.16GHz Core Duo (1st Rev) MBP with 2GB RAM and it's still a speed demon, even with Aperture.

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
thanks for all the info and advice :) I think i'm going to take the plunge with the 2.53 model as I manage to twist a local supplier to give me a very good price (£75 below the apple price) so the price difference is only about £150 now.

On the off chance anyone is interested i'm going to do a test (mainly for my own curiosity) comparing the Mac Pro vs. white imac vs. alu imac vs. white macbook vs. the MBP to see what the relative speeds are...sad i know lol ..but someone might find it useful lol

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.