Aperture (Apple lost a sale)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Architect4122, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

When I first got my MBP I played around to see what it could do. Well, part of that was using the Aperture and iWork. So this means that when I started playing with these my 30 days started.

Well, that was a few months ago so I can't use those trials without buying the product.

For christmas I received a dSLR that shoots RAW. I didn't know I was going to get this at the time I was seeing what Aperture was all about.

So, I downloaded the demo of Adobe Lightroom to compare to Aperture. I knew my Aperture 30 days was up, but now I really needed to use it. So I called seeing if there was any way to try it out, get a new s/n or something.

All they told me was one time trial, and thats it. I could possibly completely reinstall the OS and see if it works....ummm no!

So, I guess I can't try Aperture from the comfort of my home, but I can Lightroom. They just lost the sale of one of their Pro Applications.

Oh well, I was looking forward to playing with them both :(

[any ideas?]

**CLIFF NOTES**

Used up Aperture trial months back not knowing I would be receiving a nice camera.
    Have new camera and want to see which application is best for photos: Aperture or Lightroom
    Called to see if Apple would give me another 30 days for Aperture to compare to Lightroom, as the first time I used Aperture I didn't have a camera to fully utilize its features.
    Stuck with only lightroom trial now...want to compare it to Aperture, but can't.
    Self-owned due to unforeseen acquisition of nice camera.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I guess this doesn't exist...

I never got around to using the trial though.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't advocate piracy - but if you google this - you can find a way around it. (to extend it for another 30 days) Without reinstalling your OS.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And you're certain that Adobe will allow you to reinstall the demo of Lightroom after your 30-day trial is over?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, it wont.

6. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

I know Lightroom won't, but I'm actually using it right now to trial.

After I play and decide I will buy a legal copy. I just wish I could play with Aperture and Lightroom at the same time to compare.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have been using Aperture on and off. I like it, but there seems to be so much more that Apple can do with it.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

So you're saying Apple lost a sale for the reason that they do something that their competitor also does? Seems kinda weak to me. I'm just sayin'.

9. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

You're complaining about a free trial?

Honestly?

10. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Create a new user account and try it from there, worked for me on the iWork trial.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was about to suggest the same.

12. Nadav macrumors regular

Why would you use up the free trial if you weren't going to use it? If you don't have a camera, don't use up a free trial that is for cameras...

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Probably why I never used my trial.