Aperture auto exposure/color

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by miknos, Oct 30, 2010.

1. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

I'm not a pro so please be light on the criticism.

There's an auto exposure/color in Picasa called "I'm feeling lucky". Around 80% of the times, the picture looks better (IMO).

I know fine tuning individually the pictures are the way to go but I was looking for a fast/automatic way of adjusting my pictures like Picasa does with the feature mentioned above.

I prefer Aperture to browse/handle my (small) library than iPhoto or Picasa. Just wished I could use that specific Picasa feature.

Any help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

No criticism from me. I just love the idea of buying pro-quality image management software, and hoping it'll have a button called "I'm feeling lucky". No criticism... but you gave me a laugh on a gloomy evening. :)

3. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

I was expecting certain criticism, that's why I asked to be easy on it.

Maybe a plugin? Some script?

As I said, I prefer Aperture to browse my library (instead of iPhoto/Picasa). I don't see a similar function in iPhoto which is not "pro". What's the exact adjustment that (Picasa) feature does?

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Aperture 3 only:

In Iphoto the feature is called enhance in Aperture the only feature similar to it is this found in levels under the adjustments tab (attached image)

or adjustement tab=presets= auto enhance

Attached Files:

5. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

I tried that auto adjustment before but It looks much better in Picasa app.

I guess I'll read the Aperture 3 Manual and learn how to do it properly.

Thanks for the reply.

6. Fujiko7 macrumors 6502

The Auto Enhance preset is the closest you'll get in Aperture to an "I'm Feeling Lucky" button.

Generally the presets in Aperture should be the starting point for adjustments that you make. Assuming you've shot without any image presets on the camera, Auto Enhance can *sometimes* be all you need to process relatively simple images that don't have significant under- or overexposed regions so that they look presentable. However, I find that it can often over-saturate the colours, especially the blue in a photo of the sea, and blow out highlights.

It's worth taking the time to get at least a basic idea of what the various adjustments do, getting used to using them and practicing a "workflow" (dread word). The manual's a good place to start, but I have found this book helpful. Or apply Auto Enhance and look at what adjustments it has made.

7. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos