Aperture can't see network drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thekb, Jan 21, 2014.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

I have a referenced library where the originals live on the network attached hard drive. I can access the drive perfectly well in Finder, but Aperture hardly ever sees it. I can sometimes get it to recognize the drive by exiting Aperture, accessing the drive in Finder, then reopening Aperture. Sometimes. But sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to reboot.

Why can't Aperture see a drive that the rest of the computer can see just fine?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

How's the NAS formatted? I've seen people have issues if they access it via SMB or NFS.

3. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Rob ... I formatted it the way I normally do. Not sure how to find the answer to your question. I may need some guidance on this one.

I never have problems accessing the drive through Finder, if that makes a difference.

4. rboy505 macrumors member

It has to do with Aperture's use of TinySQL as its database format. Doesn't play well on a network. Also, the library has to be on an OS X Entended format drive. If it has been formatted otherwise for the sake of the network, and working in that function, that's also an issue.

I don't use Aperture on a network but remember it being brought up several times in photography forums. Here are two links with some info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3252

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23202518?tstart=0#23202518?tstart=0

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think that is the OP's issue. His library is stored on the local HFS+ volume. It is only his referenced photos (not in a Aperture library) that are on the networked drive.

OP's issue seems to be related to the networked drive dismounting randomly.

6. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's correct Weaselboy. The photos are referenced and Aperture won't recognize that the drive is connected when I want to edit them. I have to quit Aperture, go into Finder and click on the network drive to get it properly spun up, then reopen Aperture and it will usually see the files then. So why does Finder see the drive fine, but Aperture can't?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No idea... but it looks here like you are not the only one with this issue. If you search "referenced NAS" on the Aperture support forum there are a bunch of threads on this.

8. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK! Well at least its nice to know I am not alone. I've managed to limp along by making sure I open the drive in FInder before opening Aperture, but it doesn't seem like I should have to go through that additional step.

For reference, has anyone had similar problems with referenced libraries in Lightroom?