Aperture corrupts all my photos??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cairene2011, Feb 3, 2015.

1. cairene2011 Guest

This has been happening since I migrated my Aperture library from my old 2011 MBA to my brand new rMBP 2014 two weeks ago. First it started with only a handful photos, which I deleted, but the more times passes, the more projects get infested. Initially I thought it was a GPU problem, but since the computer displays images online and elsewhere correctly, I don't think it is.

I read here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3168022?start=45&tstart=0 that it could be an issue of bad RAM, but in order to download MEMTEST one needs to register and for some reason their stupidass captcha doesn't work ... so I can't do this.

On top of everything, I'm currently writing my dissertation and can under no circumstances ship the Mac off to Apple for two weeks, so I'm praying it is software related.

Has anyone experienced this before?

PS: When I click on the photos, most are still displayed correctly in the Viewer.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are your originals corrupted, if you use a referenced library, go into finder and see.

Dumb question but do you have a backup and/or is the library still on your older computer?

3. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

Aperture corrupts all my photos??

Stop panicking. Just regenerate previews. Be smart and use your logic next time as you are student so you should have plenty of it lol. You know that softwares like aperture only preview your original files by generating own previews with its own taste like white balance, tonality etc. It doesn't read camera raw images compare to your camera manufacturer native software (capture nxd for nikon for example).

4. cairene2011 thread starter Guest

I'm not sure what you mean with "Go into finder and see". I have a few projects that are only referenced with the originals outsourced on external drives, but they are funnily not (yet) the ones affected.

I don't have the old Mac anymore, but I have numerous Time Machine backups and manual backups of the Aperture library itself. I'm kind of worried though, I'd spoil them too if I connect them to my Mac.

Reading through the thread I linked in my original post, it seems like this error could be caused by a wrongly formatted external drive. When I migrated, I put a Time Machine backup on a new hard drive, and then two weeks later put this on my new Mac (since I sold the old one before I received the new one). I did format this new external drive - correctly so, I think - but I wonder if it's wonky nevertheless. The first few corrupted images I found right after the initial migration (which involved said new external drive), then I never attached it again. During this time I didn't notice corruption at all. A couple days ago, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to use this new drive as a second Time Machine from now on and connected it to make a backup. Now the corruption is back in my Aperture library... I wonder if it has to do with that drive. But how can it corrupt anything, if it only makes a backup?

----------

I'm not panicking, just annoyed that my brand new machine makes troubles. I have plenty of backups, so no need to panic. ;)

I'm studying Anthropology, so the form of logic I acquired there doesn't really help in software questions. Quite honestly my knowledge of photo software is very limited - I can operate it, but I don't know much about its inner workings, I'm afraid. :eek:

I'm not using any native software for my camera, I'm not even sure if Fuji offers something like this. Are you saying you'd recommend to use something like this to check if the originals are okay?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where are your original images? Use the Finder to locate them. Finder is the default file manager for OS X You use it to manage your files/folders. Use that to see if the original images are ok.

6. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

Just select all and regenerate the previews. Your originals are not corrupted just their previews in Aperture are

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I missed this piece in my original reading of the thread. hulk2012 is right, your previews are corrupted just regenerate them.

8. cairene2011 thread starter Guest

Well, apart from a handful projects that I outsourced onto an external drive, they are all inside that massive Aperture library, no? Does the Finder search within the Aperture libraries?

I'm afraid, this only worked for a few, but most don't change when clicking on Regenerate Preview. The Mac stutters quite long though, when I click on them, until he displays them correctly in the viewer.

------

Aaaaanyway, I think what I will do is to delete the entire Aperture library, clean install Aperture and then manually import my photos from an older backup. Can't think of anything else... I just really, really, really hope it's not a hardware problem. We shall see, I will report back!

9. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

Wait! I've had the same issue with other photography software last year. Happen to the external drive connections to the computer. Switch them around and let me know what happens.

10. cairene2011 thread starter Guest

I tried that, but alas it didn't change anything. Also I don't think it should change anything, because all of the corrupted photos are on my Mac's internal SSD, not on an external drive.
    No external drive is directly involved in this mess, I just used a new external drive to migrate from the old MBA to the new rMBP 2 weeks ago and I'm suspecting it - without having any evidence - to be the culprit. Apologies, I know the whole thing reads madly confusing. :eek:

Anyway, I reinstalled Aperture and manually moved over my projects from a backup. When looking through the old library before deleting it, it looked like at least 60% of my photos/previews were corrupted. Btw, while most photos would still be displayed correctly in the viewer, some would only be noise even there. So I don't think it's a preview issue only.

Until two days ago, everything had still been fine since I had deleted the photos that were corrupted during the initial "break out" on the day I migrated from MBA to rMBP. It seems crazy to me, that so much sudden damage happened between I last opened Aperture two days ago and today, when I did nothing noteworthy other than browsing and word processing. What I also did in this period was making a Time Machine backup on the new external drive that was used to migrate and I honestly wonder, if something on this drive keeps messing with my Aperture library. It would be amazing if this was the simple solution, because the thought of having to get my brand new rMBP repaired already makes me a bit angry.

But for now it looks good, knock on wood... I shall monitor the development! :)

PS: Hopefully this experience will function as yet another ad for backups, backups, B A C K U P S.
    I always shake my head in sheer disbelief, when people lose everything, because they simply never made a backup. I can't even fathom the wailing mess in fetal position I'd be right now, if 60% of my photos had jumped the shark and I had not a single backup of them.