Aperture - couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mac pakka, May 17, 2011.

1. mac pakka macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I've just installed Aperture 3.

1. Should i transfer all 3000 photos from iPhoto '11 or should i just open the ones i want to edit in Aperture? Apart from the basics; cropping, face tagging, straightening i won't be editing that much.

2. If i do transfer all my photos will it take any extra memory?

3. Is Aperture slower than iPhoto?

I'm just at the lower end of amature when it comes to photography but i recently bought a Sony Nex-5. The photos are taken in RAW and J-PEG . I usually delete the RAW pictures but if i happen to actually take something decent i'll transfer the RAW picture to Aperture and see what i can do.

4. Any links to good videos/ websites for Aperture beginners? I find Apple's kinda rubbish.

Ta

2. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

1. Yes, why run 2 photo catalogue programs, you want all your photo's together.

2. Yes, it'll copy it to the Aperture Library, hard drive space is cheap don't worry about it.

3. Yeah it's a bit slower but much better program, it's quick on a newish computer.

4. Lynda.com, their tutorials are the best in the business and reasonably price too, comsidering how good they are.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Try www.apertureexpert.com. Plenty of videos on how to upload, label, rate and generally work through Aperture 3. Each for only $2. User questions sometimes helpful.

4. jroller macrumors regular

We've been using Aperture since Aperture 1 with my high school yearbook staff. It certainly has its advantages over iPhoto, and I think you'll be pleased with your choice.