Aperture - couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mac pakka, May 17, 2011.

1. mac pakka macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2009
    Hey guys

I've just installed Aperture 3.

1. Should i transfer all 3000 photos from iPhoto '11 or should i just open the ones i want to edit in Aperture? Apart from the basics; cropping, face tagging, straightening i won't be editing that much.

2. If i do transfer all my photos will it take any extra memory?

3. Is Aperture slower than iPhoto?

I'm just at the lower end of amature when it comes to photography but i recently bought a Sony Nex-5. The photos are taken in RAW and J-PEG . I usually delete the RAW pictures but if i happen to actually take something decent i'll transfer the RAW picture to Aperture and see what i can do.

4. Any links to good videos/ websites for Aperture beginners? I find Apple's kinda rubbish.

2. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2006
    In Hell
    1. Yes, why run 2 photo catalogue programs, you want all your photo's together.

2. Yes, it'll copy it to the Aperture Library, hard drive space is cheap don't worry about it.

3. Yeah it's a bit slower but much better program, it's quick on a newish computer.

4. Lynda.com, their tutorials are the best in the business and reasonably price too, comsidering how good they are.
  3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

Apr 3, 2010
    Big Sky country
    Try www.apertureexpert.com. Plenty of videos on how to upload, label, rate and generally work through Aperture 3. Each for only $2. User questions sometimes helpful.
  4. jroller macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    We've been using Aperture since Aperture 1 with my high school yearbook staff. It certainly has its advantages over iPhoto, and I think you'll be pleased with your choice.