Aperture CPU Usage - Simple Tasks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kirky29, Aug 2, 2011.

1. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Hi there,

So, I use Aperture a lot. After I import the pictures, lets say 20 photos, they all import & it does it's processing thing....then I go to do some basic editing, like auto-adjust or skin smoothing etc etc etc..

The CPU jumps higher than high, 200% - I understand it's doing something, but....it gets to the point where my iTunes will start skipping...

Then it'll start jumping about, mouse starts lagging etc...

I don't mind it using 3,4 sometimes 5GB of RAM, that doesn't bother me.

Here's the MacBook Pro's specs: MBP 2011 2.2 i7 - 8GB RAM - 750 5200 HDD 1GB Video Card

Anything I can do?
    Note: Lion has made Aperture loads better for me, loads faster, but still gets slow.

At the moment I close Aperture and leave it for a few mins, then open it back up. It doesn't take long for it to start lagging again!

-- Note: I don't really want to move to Lightroom. I like Aperture, looks nicer, I know where everything is, it's integrated with the Mac & iTunes for my iPad/iPhone.

Thank you. :)

Attached Files:

2. vemssi macrumors newbie

I have faced similar symptoms, and I wrote about those in a different post. I really don't know what's happening there but for me, it all started when I upgraded from Snow to Lion. I have an iMac 27" (Late 2009, 2.8 GHz Core i7) with 4 GB ram.

3. Clark Kent macrumors member

Aperture needs to be updated because it doesn't play nicely with Lion.

4. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Yup, my Aperture 3 has regressed a bit with Lion. Especially when going full screen - just viewing photos, makes my RAM usage almost top out (just upgraded to 8GB and it still does it).

I think Lion's memory management is crap as multiple apps have the same problem. Been checking every day for a point update and nothing - probably too busy with the stupid iOS.

5. toxic macrumors 68000