Aperture filing structure

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nuks, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to Aperture, but I have a question regarding master/version files. There's a structure I'm trying to accomplish and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do so.

My ideal setup would be this:

Copy images from camera to aperture, make all image adjustments, and be able to access the files from a folder on the desktop.

So is there any way to create a constantly updating folder on my desktop? Sometimes I'll go back into aperture and make colour adjustments etc., but they will only be saved in aperture and not in my desktop folder. I also don't want to have to import to aperture, make adjustments, then export to my desktop. I like to keep the files available without using aperture (which can run somewhat slowly on my macbook), but I want to minimize the number of steps needed to keep the most current images on my desktop.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can't do what you're asking of Aperture.
    It'd be good if you could tell us what you want to do with your photos. Print them at home? Print them at kinkos? Export them for use on the web? Edit them in Photoshop?

What you CAN do is this sort of workflow:
    1. import from your DSLR (are you working with RAW files? What sort of camera do you use?)
    2. organize/tag your photos
    3. adjust photos, crop, fix white balance issues
    3b. create as many versions as you want.
    3c. Open in an external editor, like photoshop or whatevs)
    4. Export jpegs (or tiffs, or whatever)
    5. do what you want with your photos.

One thing to know about Aperture is it is NOT a photo editor. It is a photo organizer and RAW adjustor that can do minor photo edits. And you should always leave your original files alone and let Aperture handle the creation of versions so you never alter your original photo.

Sounds to me like Photoshop is more of what you want, since you want an editor and not an organizer...