Aperture & Final Cut Pro or Adobe Creative Suite?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rm.237, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

I am an amateur photographer with aspirations of video editing in my future. I currently use Aperture 3 and iPhoto along with iMovie for my needs. I am going to be upgrading my software and thought to look here for advise. I would like keep my photos and videos organized, use a photoshop and edit documentary style short films from time to time with the option to grow in this field. Though the software undoubtedly exceeds my needs at this current time this is what I am down to: Keeping with what I am using and simply adding Final Cut Pro and if needed Apple's Motion software. That is a cost of $350 and keeps me in Apple's ecosystem which on the outside sounds comforting but please let me know if I'm wrong. The other option would be to dump Aperture and go for Adobe's Creative Suite 6 which contains Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Premiere Pro 6 and many other programs. It sells for just a little over $700 considering I am a qualifying student for Adobe's Student and Teacher edition. So which would be the better option? Stay with Apple or go Adobe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Though I don't know much about your questions, I am pretty sure that you can import your iPhoto library into Aperture, whereas with Adobe, it would be a little more work at the onset to get things going.

3. Rm.237 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have read this and am a little intimidated by the process but it's one I'm sure I could work through. You bring up a good point though in regards to the initial set up and/or potential headaches.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Both directions will work for you. I have personally not used FCP, Aperture or AM, but have seen them in use by a friend of mine who went that route and they do an excellent job. I went the other way. I have a lot of experience with Adobe and have been using CS since Version 2. Again another excellent suite of software which will do everything you are asking. CS6 is my current version. You will need to look at your pocket book to decide which is best. Both work excellent in the Apple environment you are asking about. I know you can download a trial version of Adobe CS6 for 30 days and give it a try. Not sure there is a trial version for the Apple products. One thing for sure is, you are going to have quite a learning curve with which ever way you decide to go. One other thing, Lightroom 4, as far as I know, is sold separate from CS6. Hope this helps with your decision.