Aperture for iOS coming with iPad3?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VirtualRain, Feb 22, 2012.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Each of the last few iOS device launches has been accompanied by a (fairly) major new touch App from Apple...

iPad: iWork
    iPhone4: iMovie
    iPad2: Garage Band
    iPhone4S: Cards, Reminders (bear with me)
    iPad3: ???

Barring the launch of a new birthday party planning app, or something as mundane as "Cards", I'm wondering if a new Retina display iPad, is not the perfect opportunity to also launch Aperture for the iPad?

It might be a very compelling app if it can sync adjustments made "in the field" with Aperture on your Mac via iCloud. It would be even more amazing if they could somehow figure out a way to tether the iPad to popular DSLRs for live viewing through an enhanced camera connection kit or something (OK, Now I'm getting carried away) :)

Sadly, this might also explain the lack of any significant updates to the Mac App, as surely a lot of developers would have been reassigned from the desktop team to work on such a project... A disappointing prospect for many of us waiting for some enhancements.

At any rate, I can't help but wonder if this is what might be in store for us.

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Editing photos with a fingertip? Can't see it myself...

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I wouldn't use Aperture on an iPad...I have it on all three Macs...Even with stylus support it would be a chore, and not a pleasure.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I can see this as a capture/preview/backup kind of thing. Use the camera conneciton kit to capture the contents of the card in the camera: your photos are now on two devices instead of one. Perform basic tagging/metadata and even adjustments. When you get home it seamlessly syncs with Aperture on your Mac. Would be pretty slick...

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I actually can.

With an intuitive zoom/brush size mechanism for fine details, brushes with your fingertips could be quite powerful, as it would give you a one to one mapping of gesture and photo. The zoom mechanism could overcome the problems of inaccuracy of large fingers.

Storage is one challenge that needs to be overcome, as mentioned by VR iCloud is a solution, there could be Wi-Fi sync.

I'm also with robbieduncan, a live tagging system would be very welcome, high resolution previews, the sky's the limit. The big issue with live previews is every camera manufacturer has their own API, sometimes differing model to model, it would be a challenge to develop and keep up with new models as they're released.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Good idea, OP.

Simple task like brightening the sky etc and adjusting tones would be good and for it to sync back to you Mac would be a bonus. I know there are many apps that can do this but nothing that really integrates the "Apple" way.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Possibly and like the other occurrences the OSX version has not been updated :( so the coincidences continue

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If Apple were to release a Pro version of the iPad with a 13 inch screen, upgradable RAM and ports, then maybe. I have 6GB RAM and a 2.5 GHz processor and A3 taxes it.

If Adobe were even to hint at Lightroom for the iPad, then perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised to see iPhoto for iPad, though. The current photo workflow on the iPad isn't very good (IMO). Asking for Aperture on iPad is like asking for Final Cut Pro/X. They are in a different class of app.

Dale

9. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

So, while there was no Aperture for iPad discussed today, they did launch iPhoto. :)

It will be interesting to see how this app will support ingest in the field (camera connection kit?) and interwork with Aperture on the Mac.

10. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Being able to at least tag, organize and rate photos in the iPad would be amazing.

And I really don't see why some light editing can't be done in the iPad. I would personally use it.

11. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

There's actually an iPad app that lets you do that called PixelSync. It syncs to your aperture library and lets you make changes to the rating, colour tag and keywords and then syncs it back to your Aperture library.

12. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I used it, but didn't really liked that much. Somehow it missed the simplicity of an Apple app.

13. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Yeah, there are a few odd steps to get photos into the app. The new version (which I just started using again yesterday) is really quite nice though.

14. Eolian macrumors regular

Here's some suggestion that they might be heading toward iOS with Aperture (Joshua Topolsky, in Washington Post 3/7/12):

Link

That doesn't say much, but the iPhoto demo Apple provided yesterday certainly shows that in coming years (if not sooner) the technology will be there to allow professional image editing on touchscreen devices (perhaps with a stylus, perhaps not.)

Given Apple's clear trend to post-PC products and the equally clear merging and absorbtion of OS X into the iOS framework, one can only hope that Aperture will retains it's configurable power, nevermind gain sophistication, when (if?) it makes this transition :eek:

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^^ given what we saw in the iPhoto for iOS demo, I'm not sure what aperture for iOS will give us. In fact (and I hope I'm wrong), I can see iPhoto and aperture merging in the near future.

16. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

iPhoto on the iPad looks very capable, but the adjustments are a long way away from most professional requirements. I work on pix at 100% on a 24in iMac when I prepare them for a photo library. Having worked on a laptop it was great to have such a big screen to work on. The idea of editing pix - seriously - on an iPad does not appeal. Maybe a crop, or straightening a horizon... but not much more. I hope Apple doesn’t dumb down the pro aspects of Aperture...

17. Frobozz macrumors 65816

Frobozz

I think it's fair to say the higher end features that professionals will want for video and photography will remain on computers for now. There will be pieces here or there.

Rather than translate these professional level apps to the iPad, app makers are smartly trying to customize the toolset and experience for touch. It seems like iPhoto was a very good example of this (although I have not used it yet to verify, the demo looked great.)

There will be a lot of content creation that stays on the desktop for a while. But with that said, new types of content and experiences will ONLY be possible on an iPad. Over time, the idea that your "computer" is something you carry around with you will really take hold. I know that, for me, I need my (awesome) laptop less and less in my casual life. For work, yeah, I need it.

18. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

While I do not expect to do serious editing it would be nice to crop, rotate, and organize the pics on the iPad. I read that the iOS iPhoto with sync with Aperture. It will be interesting to see how well it does. About to download the new app.