Aperture handling large amounts files.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mpt-matthew, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

If in aperture i have a folder/album with say 60GB of pics in (from one event, RAW pics). Then i have say 10 labelled with 5*.
    If i load the folder only showing 5* pics, will it load immanently, or will it have to scan through all 60GB to find the *ed pictures.
    At the moment, using Adobe Bridge on my old PC, it takes ages (hence why i separate them into 2 folders once sorted). I was hoping that aperture would just load the *ed ones if you tell it to and not have to look through all the files each time. (Bridge loads them, then sorts them).

Also, about stacks. i take lots of time lapses (frame by frame) so i end up with lots of similar pictures. If i had a stack with a few thousand pictures in, would aperture handle this well? If i had an album with 3 stacks in, each with 5000 pics in, will the album load quick, and only when i open a stack it take longer to load.

thanks

Matt

2. BlissStreet macrumors newbie

The load time will be the same. If you close the library with the filter option set to 5 stars, it will load with the same filter in place. But, the load time is pretty fast since it only displays the thumbnails.

AP3 and Bridge use a different system to load images. Bridge is a file browser, AP3 is a DAM/RAW converter.

AP3 will handle it fine. Every year of work is a different library for me and they average way above 1,500 RAW images. Once AP3 has processed the images, the load time is the same (for me, running of a Drobo FW800) no matter what the image count.