Aperture Has Died on Me

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emorydunn, Jan 7, 2011.

1. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

So, as the title suggests, Aperture 3 has stopped working. It no longer launches; the icon bounces for a while and then stops and says it has crashed. I have tried removing the preferences, cache, everything and it still won't launch. I've also tried ejecting my external drives which hold my libraries and still nothing.

Now, what happened before it stopped working you might ask? Well, let me tell you. I had just finished importing several very high resolution film scans (~10,000x8000 at 2400 DPI) into the library and everything was going well until I double clicked one to begin editing. Aperture hung up but I figured that it was just being Aperture and being a bit slow so I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally I decided that it had frozen outright and force quit only to have it never open again.

I'm out of ideas and Google search ideas on what to do, so, any thoughts?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It could be the app that's toast or something in your library that's causing it grief.

First, try re-installing Aperture.

If that doesn't work, then it's likely something in your library. Before you do anything with it, make a backup copy of your library. Then you can right click your Aperture library, choose "Show Package Contents" and browse it in Finder. Have a look at what's inside. I believe the images are in the "Masters" folder, organized by date. You should probably Google for better advice, because I've never played with the contents of my library, but you could try removing the masters that you think caused things to go sideways on you. Again, make sure you backup/duplicate your library before you start messing with it.

That's all I can think of for now.

3. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Hold command and option on startup of Aperture, that'll let you repair permissions, repair the database or rebuild the database.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

If it's crashing before you can get to that stage, reinstall Aperture as VirtualRain said.

4. emorydunn thread starter macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Aperture won't launch at all so I'm going to try reinstalling and hope that works. Thanks for the help.

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Try moving or renaming your library file. Will Aperture load with a blank new library?