Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Balls.

Machine was poked, so had to rebuild it. After finalising the installation and logging in to the App Store, Aperture was nowhere to be found in my purchases. Not only can you not purchase it, but you can't even re-download.

So unless someone has encountered the same, looks like I'm gonna have to fork out for a new processor.

For those that departed Aperture, what did you end up with?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Lightroom, CaptureOne are some of the more popular choices in this forum, depending on your needs. I wonder if it might be possible to raise hell with Apple though, to see if they can get you a copy? It still shows up for me in my purchases.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
It was showing up in my purchases prior to my machine falling over, though having it installed I wonder if that would make the difference.

Fair call. Might raise a support ticket and see what the score is.

I had a trawl of the forum before posting but couldn't see anything significant regarding the alternatives. If anyone has things to say about Capture One, DxO Optics Pro and Affinity Photo I look forward to it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It was showing up in my purchases prior to my machine falling over, though having it installed I wonder if that would make the difference.

I had a trawl of the forum before posting but couldn't see anything significant regarding the alternatives. If anyone has things to say about Capture One, DxO Optics Pro and Affinity Photo I look forward to it.
I'm seeing the same here. Aperture is not in the Purchased list anymore. I've long since moved to Lightroom, personally.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Meets my needs and the application itself wasn't broken, when I could install it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Apple has given the world lots of notice that Aperture was not to be further developed. So there has been time for folks to determine if they would hang with Apple for Photos or wanted something more sophisticated like Aperture. There have been many threads in this forum about moving from Aperture to LR or CP1. Either of those make sense if your want a DAM with editing capabilities. LR likely has the same set of plugins as was available for Aperture.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

DXO optics pro is good, but because of a lack of DAM and cloaning tool, LR is my go to photography software.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Apple has given the world lots of notice that Aperture was not to be further developed. So there has been time for folks to determine if they would hang with Apple for Photos or wanted something more sophisticated like Aperture.
Of this I am aware. It didn't stop working despite it no longer being developed and meets my needs. I paid for it and don't want to outlay anymore coin, so will continue to use it (providing I can download it again from my account) until it falls over or I decide my skills exceed its capabilities.

There are several threads outlining exactly this but silly to reproduce those comments again, have a quick search and a read.
Thanks cap'n. Both insightful and helpful. Didn't think to search the forums using - what are they, keywords? - before creating a new thread.

Reactions: mikepro

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
As that article suggests, likely has something to do with El Capitan being released tomorrow. Good a story as any.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
As that article suggests, likely has something to do with El Capitan being released tomorrow. Good a story as any.
Reads as hearsay and conjecture to me, whereas the email conversation I had with Apple in the last 24 hours fails to suggest that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.