Aperture *has* to update before 10.9. New version or a patch?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JonasCalhoun, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JonasCalhoun macrumors member

With the incompatibility of iPhoto included with Mavericks and Aperture 3.4.5, Apple release 10.9 without upgrading Aperture. So I'm wondering, what are the odds we'll see a new version of Aperture vs a patch to restore compatibility?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could be wrong but there are people running Mavericks here and Aperture, i.e., Aperture is running w/o any patching required.

3. JonasCalhoun thread starter macrumors member

Aperture runs fine. What the issue is is that opening a photo library with the version of iPhoto that is bundled with Mavericks updates that library so the current version of Aperture can't open it.

Apple has touted iPhoto/Aperture library sharing for a while. I don't see them changing that.

4. JonasCalhoun thread starter macrumors member

Guess I was wrong. But is the new iPhoto compatible with Aperture?

5. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

My libraries are merged and both Aperture and iPhoto works fine.

6. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

But are you running Mavericks and the Mavericks version of iPhoto?

Because I share the OP's concerns - Mavericks requires an upgrade to iPhoto, and when you run the upgraded version for the first time you get a warning that your library will be updated if you continue and will no longer work with Aperture.

I find it difficult to believe that Apple will leave the shared library feature broken. I guess we'll see an update to Aperture when Mavericks is released to the public - they couldn't publically update Aperture before the iPhoto update is publically released otherwise it would have broken compatibility the other way round.

7. Quercus Alba macrumors member

8. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

I just checked and I'm still on iPhoto 9.4.3 with Mavericks GM build 13A598. I guess Apple must've removed the iPhoto update as it's not bundled in the installation and I can't locate it in my dev account as a separate download and it's not showing up in MAS either.

9. notrack macrumors 6502

I do hope for an update. In terms pf usability it is also a bit behind. But I'm not sure whether it has enough priority for a major update...