Aperture HDD Organization Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LoneWolf121188, Jun 19, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

So I have a bunch (7,000 or so) pics from my windows machine that I want to copy onto my MBP. I want Aperture to keep the same file structure that I have now on my HDD. For example, I have:

College Tours
    • Cornell
    • USC
    • Caltech

as my directory structure. I want Aperture to create a project called College Tours, subfolders called Cornell, USC, and Caltech, a folder in my Pictures folder called College Tours, and subfolders called Cornell, USC, and Caltech where the actual pictures are stored. Right now, I can make all of that happen except the last part: Aperture just makes a folder called College Tours and puts all of my picture files into that folder instead of organizing them into separate subfolders.

The other thing is that I want Aperture to move files around like iTunes does, ie, when I make a new folder in Aperture, I want a new folder to be created on my HDD.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you haven't got Aperture yet, look at Lightroom. Lightroom can manage your photo's using your folder structure and you can organise them how you want. If you make a new folder in Lightroom and move photo's to it, it'll do it in Finder as well.

In Aperture though, you can import your photo's in a folder structure, but second thing you want it can't do.

3. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tried the free trial of lightroom and its awesome. Definetly on my to-buy list. Thanks!