Aperture help~

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peepboon, May 9, 2011.

1. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Hi guys

My current Aperture library is on an external HDD as referenced files. The HDD has gotten full and I just ordered a new 1TB HDD.

What I want to do is to move all the photos from my old HDD to the new 1TB HDD. Will APerture automatically recognise and find the 'master' images on my new HDD? Do I need to do something in Aperture to point it to the new HDD?

THanks in advance! :)

Peter

2. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

Not too sure if I made it too clear:

The library is stored on my Macbook Air, the photos are on the external HDD.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I think that if you used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your current drive onto the new one you will be fine with just that

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

The problem is that as you say they are "referenced" and not actually in the library. Yes simply moving the files will break the reference. But I'm pretty sure if the new drive has the ecaxt same name and you put them in the exact same folder structure then Aperture will not notice they've moved.

I would drage the entire content of the old disk to the new disk, then unplug the old disk, put it som,e place safe. Then rename the new drive to match the first.

In the future you can prevent this problem by making an alias that points to where you data is. Then if ever the data moves you change the alias.